Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tealspencer

Potted plants

tealspencer
9 years ago

Hi and thanks for the help in advance.

I am a BRAND NEW home owner and gardener and have killed everything I touch for the last 30 years...

I just potted some plants. They were fine at the store, but look wilted and sad in their new "home" I have watered them, used good potting mix, and have proper drainage in the pots. Am I being too impatient...how long before they look "healthy" again? Should I be in panic mode, when its only been a few days? They are sunshine flowers and have good exposure.

Secondly, I tossed old potting soil onto a bed of shade plants and then read how awful this was. What should I do? Till the soil, try to remove it?

Thanks again for your help.

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

on transplant.. i hope you left them in full shade ... until the roots get pumping again ??

if not.. drag that sucker to shade ...

they should get over it in 3 to 5 days.. depending on day heat.. and night coolness... a recovery time...

NEVER PANIC.. its all a learning curve ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

There's nothing wrong that I can of regarding tossing old potting medium into the yard and garden. Where did you hear that? That's where I always recommend that people recycle their old and used planting mix. Just rake it around a little to distribute it.

Since I don't believe that transplant shock is normal, why don't you tell us what kinds of plants these are? Are you watering enough at any one time to truly soak the whole soil volume?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

never waste old media ... whomever told you that was .. well.. i can think of a few words.. but it might be your mom.. so i hesitate.. lol ... just toss it around... its called compost ...

rhiz with her 7000 years of experience doenst believe that transplant shock is normal .....??

that has to be one of her most overly broad comments ever ... especially to a newb ...

i have only 30 odds years of experience.. and things still droop after planting ...

its as simple as understanding.. that you interfered with the roots ability to pump water .... by taking them out of the pot ... in the mean time the plant kept using its internal water ... so they went flaccid ... limp ...

one trick is to do such in the evening.. so the cool night allows the roots to get pumping without the heat of day ... its called a recovery period ...

do it on a cloudy or rainy day ... be your inner kid.. and go play in the rain [this works well for moving self sown seedlings around the garden or moving perennials ]

or do it all in the shade ... no sun for a few days ... hence what i first said ..

and when you get your 7000 years of experience.. it wont be an issue ... i wish i were at that point ...

good luck.. we want you enabled.. so pay no attention to our squabbling.. and understand that any response.. is someone trying to help you ...

ken

• tealspencer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. Ken, can't wait for that 7000 years of experience :)

I kept the potting soil in. I had simply heard that old soil sometimes breeds disease and that it's best to "bake" it first before reusing it, which I didn't do and was therefore nervous, but the plants seem to be growing fine.

In regards to the potted flowers, it rained good last night, so I'm eager to see how they look this afternoon. If needed, I might shade them for a day or two.

Your comments have been helpful!

9 years ago

Ken, you just so often comment on transplant shock with all kinds of plants. Since I've lived in the deep South where planting of annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees go on all year round (even in the heat of summer), I think that I've earned the right to speak to this issue.

I know that, in most cases, wilting, yellowing, and defoliation is not normal. It's avoidable. Those symptoms are induced by improper practices or lack of planning. It takes some sxperience to figure it out and most folks are happy to receive some ideas. I'm not sure why you are so resistant to the notion that transplant shock is largely preventable. I'm mystified.

You know, you are the only one who makes bragging comments of my experience. Not from me, not ever. What's important is that a person always remains open to information, science, changes, and other pathways to the same end.

Teal, I spoke with someone not too long ago who had a houseplant that began to droop after transplanting. She was very afraid that she had over watered! Turns out that the potting medium was bone dry just underneath the surface of the damp top layer. I'm not saying that this is your situation, just that there can be many reasons why your plant is having issues.

Ken has given you some great tips for an easy transition. I would emphasize careful handling, no heavy tamping down of the roots and soil when planting, and plenty of gentle watering afterwards to settle the potting medium around the roots.

Of course, the consistency of that mix is important. The coarser the texture, the faster new roots can develop. Plants struggle in a fine textured planting medium.

With a little experience, you'll be able plant to your heart's content.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

The only addition to rhizos comment I would like to make, is never pot into a mix that has not been wetted enough that the mix will readily accept more water after you have completed the potting. Al

• Donna
    9 years ago

I rarely have transplanting shock either, but this year, I did, and I can bring a ray of light to that situation. I bought some pentas in four inch pots because they were very inexpensive. (They are quite large plants when they mature.) I was hurrying when I planted them, so didn't examine the roots very well. Two or three days later, they were drooping. When I went to check I discovered that the plants were sold desperately in need of a larger pot. The roots were so congested that they had essentially displaced all the potting soil. (or so it appeared) When I roughed up the root balls, pulled them open at the bottom and made sure that they were in full contact with the native soil, I watered them thoroughly and carefully. They perked right back up and are doing well now.

9 years ago

Excellant point, Al. Donna, what you discovered is one of the most common reasons for wilting after planting. I almost always need to snip into root balls before I stick something into the ground or a new container.

That goes for trees, houseplants, annuals, etc.

• tealspencer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so your comments are somewhat helpful, but the rest is in a foreign language. I know nothing of root balls and my plants are still dying.

Should I:
    a) remove the plants and replant further under the potting soil?
    b) water more?
    c) remove from sun?
    d) all of the above

thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Tealspencer - it's not that simple. We can't see your plants and you haven't yet answered the question as to what sort of plants they are. The plant kingdom contains millions of species. Without any information except that they are 'wilted and sad' it is difficult to give exact instructions.

However, if you read all the above posts carefully you have been given a lot of good advice and some of your questions have already been answered. Ken has told you to keep them shaded. (Your question c.) Everyone has told you to water thoroughly. (Your question b.) Donna and Rhizo discuss potentially congested roots. (Your question a) No one has suggested planting deeper. Everyone says the idea of not putting old potting soil on a bed is rubbish.

If people use phrases you don't understand how about looking them up so you can learn more about gardening terminology for future reference? 'Root ball' is fairly self explanatory - it is just the clump of roots and the soil attached to them on the bottom of a plant, often in a rough ball shape.

Perhaps you could post a picture? Meanwhile I would get out there and absolutely drench them. Rain is not sufficient for potted plants.

• tealspencer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perhaps I have come to the wrong spot for help. Rhizo's hurtful comments towards Ken, when he was trying to help and now floraluk's comments towards me are both hurtful and disappointing. I was merely trying to understand if I should heed ALL advice or do one thing before another. Nevermind. I will look to family and friends, who I know will be patient and kind with me, for advice. It is a shame that web assistance always results in some sort of hurtful exchange these days. May God bless all of you and shelter you from any storms. Thank you for those who responded kindly. Have a blessed and beautiful day.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I have reread my post carefully. Maybe it is fairly direct and doesn't pussyfoot about. But nothing hurtful was intended and nothing hurtful should be read into it. There is certainly nothing hurtful directed towards you. You have taken personally a message intended only to be factual. My post was trying to point out that you had been given several good suggestions and that unless you give us more information there is nothing else we can say. There are no hard and fast rules and no simple answers. The 'foreign language' of gardening is useful because it is precise and if you want to get better results in your garden some of the basic vocabulary needs to be learned. At least meet us half way in our efforts by telling us what these mystery plants are. A picture would be great.

Many of us here know each other of old and I assure you Ken is bomb proof.

9 years ago

I didn't say one hurtful thing to ken, but I did defend myself against him, lol. I'd reached my limit. But you don't know that and I'm sorry you got caught in the crosshairs.

I'm sorry that you feel that this exchange has been rancorous.

The problems here are that we can't see, with our own eyeballs, what's going on with your plant! We still don't know if you're watering enough to wet the whole soil volume or watering too much! We still don't know what kind of plants you have.

All of that information is required for us to help you, since we can't be there in person.

I appreciate that you are a complete novice and that the terminology and concepts are foreign to you. That must be frustrating. But you have been given enough advice, between all of us, to begin your own detective work. That's what it boils down to EVERY time....collecting clues to solve the mystery.

You can provide the clues without knowing a thing about plants! And we, often as a very successful group effort, can solve the mystery.

We cannot tell you to water more OR less until you give us more information. The answer depends on how and how much you've been watering to date. Stick your fingers way down into the soil to feel for moistness.

• tealspencer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, floral uk and rhizo for your follow up.

In regards to what kind of flowers, they are just your average perennials: marigolds, atropurpurea, rhododendrons, etc.

I will follow rhizo's good advice and stick my fingers down there to see!!

thank you everyone.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

OK, we're getting somewhere. I'm glad you're sticking around. Since the original post was on the annuals forum I think most of us assumed they were all short lived summer annuals. If one of them is a Rhododendron that is an entirely different kettle of fish, being a potentially quite large shrub. Marigolds are annuals and I'm not sure what atropurpurea is since that is the second part of a plant name and is common to many plants. It's like a given name in humans - there are lots of Jims but we need to know which surname Jim has to identify him and know his character. Plants have their 'surname' first. Do you know the first part?

There isn't an 'average' for plants. Each needs specific conditions though some are less fussy than others. But all need plenty of water and some shade when first transplanted

Pictures would make this so much easier. At the moment we are guessing. Any chance?