Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

What annuals do you grow for purely sentimental reasons?

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

In bugbite's trooper post I mentioned I have a fondness for annual vinca - so I thought I'd start a spinoff post.

I have two annuals that I grow purely for sentimental reasons:

* Polka dot vinca (pure white with small red eye): Was in the first batch of seeds I ever grew myself some time ago, the success with those seeds got me hooked on seed starting. I don't know why I don't remember what the other annual seeds were, but I never forgot about those polka dot vinca.

* Petunias (blue and white varieties): Always have a pot of these on the patio for the scent - stirs up many happy memories of warm summer nights.

Comments (8)

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Yvonne's saliva. It's loves me; I love it. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Yvonne's saliva

• lelia
    10 years ago

Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. My grandmother always had them growing up twine on the side of her gray, weathered wood shed. They were so bright and cheerful.

bugbite: Yvonne's saliva. Too funny. That's exactly how I'm going to think of red salvia from now on.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Where on earth do you get Yvonne's Salvia??? Those pictures are beyond fabulous, and I TRULY want some of those!

I love salvias. For years, Majestic Spires has been my favorite because it doesn't run and it blooms from spring to frost. This year I found a new one called Amistad (Spanish for Friendship). The blooms on it are royal purple and it really has the look of a big winner.

But I want Yvonne's too!! (My daughter's name is Evonne.)
    As far as sentiment goes, I guess my most sentimental plants are Phlox divaricata and hydrangeas.

When my family moved from New Orleans to Meridian, MS in 1989, I brought those two plants with me. One had been given to me by a neigher. The hydrangeas were cuttings I had rooted from the plants of an elderly woman in my church. They grow in my (second) yard here today.

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Donna,
    If you trade seeds, let me know. I'll collect some Yvonne's Salvia seeds in the fall.

Incidentally in the South, Yvonne's Salvia prefers a more shaded environment. Folks have gone wrong in the south by planting it in the full sun. Yvonne's Salvia came from Yvonne who is deceased (in the picture). She lived in Mass. She gave seeds to Emily and Kathy. I got the seeds from Kathy. See link. It says it is an annual, but I have plants 2-3 years old.

I like my Mystic Spires as well (a lot). But I can't get seeds from it.
    Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Yvonne

This post was edited by bugbite on Mon, May 20, 13 at 22:56

• ginny12
    10 years ago

That is amazing. I have never seen salvia like that in my life. And what a sweet elderly couple, a great photo.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Forget me knots to never forget the death of my younger cousin due to birth defects.

• User
    10 years ago

sweet peas - every few years, I get fed up with tying in, nipping tendrils, continual deadheading....and have a year off. I really regret it the following June and order twice as many for next year. I had a massive splurge this year, with 19 different types - most looking forward to Erewhon and Blue Shift, a couple of New Zealanders.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Goldpoppies and phacelia because they remind me of the Arizona desert around Tucson in late winter.