Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Endless Sensation Browallia?

ginny12
10 years ago

I bought three of these the other day--love the lavender color. I have grown regular browallia before--Marine Blue and white--and they do very well in the shade. But the label on 'Endless Sensation Browallia' says full sun to part-sun. I am looking for replacements for impatiens and have mostly shade so am concerned.

Have you grown these and how did they do for you? Did you grow them in the shade? Any other comments?

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what.. no pic???

ken

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

No, I have tried but the seedlings stay absolutely minuscule and invariably succumb to my panicky water throwing (at least once a week, there will be something in the greenhouse on the verge of death, sending me into a frenzy of high-speed watering). 3 times, now, annoyingly, so will hopefully consign these to the department of futile sowings.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess no one is growing these. I just went and bought three more as the first three, bought several weeks ago, have been flowering non-stop thru horrible weather. Much rain and temps down to the 40sF. Now it is almost 90F and they still seem happy.

Will report at the end of the summer how they did.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I have not seen this cultivar, but I do grow browallia every year and love it! I grow the "Bells" series (Marine Bells this year).

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I'm growing some variety of Browalia from seed. I spring sowed them into a covered container, and got excellent germination. Unfortunately, the sprouts are still microscopic. I'll be surprised if I get blooms at all. But, maybe they'll surprise me! I do love the purple color.

Martha

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Docmom - you've got to start Browallia seeds really early, at least 12 weeks before planting out, if not a little earlier.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This thread is about 'Endless Sensation' Browallia. It is a hybrid from Proven Winners and I doubt is seed-grown. It is plant-patented. It is not the regular browallia I have grown for years.

It's expensive too--$5 for a 4" pot here. I bought six and planted four in window boxes and two in the ground. The tag says part-sun to sun but they have not liked full sun when it hits them. The regular 'Bells' series I have always grown was a shade plant. But I have only had them a couple of weeks and it's too soon to say.

I hope someone else is growing this 'Endless Sensation' browallia and will report their own results.

• glassbluejay
    10 years ago

My "endless sensation" are wonderful. They are a much bushier plant than the regular "bell" browallia, and so far, are doing well in pretty dense shade (two plants), and part sun, (one plant). They ARE expensive, but so far, I am really impressed!!! The white one is really popping from a distance (15 blooms on one plant, with many more to come). It makes a great substitute for impatients and I actually prefer it. The blue is nice, too, but doesn't seem to have the stand out white eye of the marine bells.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my end-of-the-summer report on 'Endless Sensation' Browallia--they are fabulous. They have been absolutely packed with flowers all summer and still are. I planted four in window boxes and they got huge, just cascading with non-stop flowers. I did take good care of them with daily watering and liquid fertilizer.

I also planted two in a former impatiens spot. Those got no fertilizer except the day I planted them and they too are bushy and have been packed with flowers all summer. Gorgeous lavender, self-cleaning flowers.

Contrary to what the tag said, they do not like full sun. They wilted when the hot mid-summer sun hit them but most of the time they were in high shade and were fine.

The only problem is the price--just too much money to replace all my impatiens areas. What a shame. I will definitely look for these again. Trouble-free--no diseases or pests.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Regular browallia is easy to start from seed and blooms profusely all summer and fall, too. All the qualities mentioned above come with the regular browallia. I start the seeds indoors 8 weeks before the last frost.

I can see spending $5 a plant if you want only a few or you don't start seeds indoors.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry I have to completely disagree. I have grown regular browallia for many years. It's a nice plant and useful for shady spots.

'Endless Sensation' is completely different--in color, profusion of flowers, size of flowers and general showiness. I don't know if it is the same species or a hybrid of several browallia species--whatever it is, it's much better--except the price.