Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Fragrant Snap Dragons

bugbite
10 years ago

Hi,
Does anyone know the names of any fragrant Snap Dragons?
Growing up that was my favorite garden scent, but they have bred most of the fragrance out.
Thanks,
Bob

Comments (8)

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

All snapdragons are hybrids these days and as you said fragrance was bred out of them in favor of bigger and better flowers and bushier plants. Personally with my allergies I'm glad they did because snaps are a favorite flower of mine.

The only place you might find some seed for the old fashioned type is to look at heirloom varieties on line.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Bob, when you shop for seeds on line, be sure to read the descriptions carefully. There are many varieties that are known for their fragrance on the market and believe me...it will be listed as one of their attributes.

Remember, fragrance has been largely replaced with disease resistance, heat tolerance, and general sturdiness. Fragrant snaps are likely to be more delicate.

One of my favorite seed houses, Swallowtail Gardens, sells a hybrid line called 'Aromas ' that might be worth checking out. You might consider buying now for sowing in the late fall....in case they sell out.

You are not likely to find fragrant snap plants in most garden centers. Rust and downy mildew is simply too much of a problem.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rhizo_1,
    Thanks for the tip! I checked it out.
    Interesting how I planted two types in the fall. One started blooming 6 weeks ago. Black Prince opened this week. Certainly late for North Florida.
    Thanks dowlinggram.
    Bob

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Have you ever considered starting the seeds inside? I know that that's not for everybody for a number of reasons. But that would enable you to have snaps throughout the winter and earliest spring.

Well, at least some of the catalog descriptions can be helpful in finding varieties to shop for in the garden centers. I would think that snapdragons become available around the same time as pansies in your location....fall/winter.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Snap Dragons here in the mild wet winters of the west coast, will bloom all winter, adding a much needed burst of color to the garden. I don't know why they are overlooked, as they are largely trouble free. I have not grown the fragrant ones , but will look into getting the seed. Al

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rhizo,
    Sometimes successful gardening is knowing ones aptitude. I have an aptitude for growing seeds outdoors and a total incompetence for growing seeds inside. Fortunately I produce way too many seedlings, germinating them outdoors and do not have to hone my skills for indoor seeds. :-)
    I think the secret for me will be to start them much earlier.
    Bob

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Susan!