Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittybart_gw

Planting annuals where there was ground cover

Kittybart
10 years ago

I had my landscaper clean up this flower bed that was covered in ground cover. He sprayed it and I guess it's dead/dying(?)

Eventually, I will get some professional help for the full front of the house, but this summer, I just want to mulch and plant some annuals. What would do well here? It is south facing and gets full sun most of the day. It's obviously a pretty large bed. I want minimal upkeep (no pruning/deadheading).

There is also something already popping up in there as well. I'm terrible with flowers/plants (but trying to learn). My only guess is they're Black Eyed Susans? Or weeds...hahah! I have no idea. Like I said, I am trying to learn. Thanks!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Kittybart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Additional photo.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Did you ask him what he sprayed it with? Check with him to see if you can plant anything this year without it being killed by what ever he sprayed.

Is the brown stuff wood chips? Or is it the "dead/dying" ground cover?

There are so many things that do well in full sun, its hard to even know how to steer you. Do you just want a mass planting of one thing?

Look through some online catalogs and try to get some sort of idea of where you want to go with this. I think flowering shrubs would make more sense than annuals.

• Kittybart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He said we could plant this year. The brown is dead ground cover.

I also think flowering shrubs long term. But I just moved into the house and a lot of the front landscaping needs addressed. I'm not ready to address it this year as I'd like to live with it for a while and see what colors some of the other shrubs are and see if we need to tear everything out and start over, or if some things can be saved. There is a lot of additional beds you can't see in the photo that contain rhododendron, ferns, hydrangea. I just want something relatively easy, inexpensive and that will fill in this year quickly so I don't have an ugly brown pit. I'm thinking 2-3 sections of different plants or perhaps colors of the same plant.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Its still early enough to put in Lilly bulbs. They have some real substance, and you can plant varieties that bloom through July. You can move them easily enough next year if you decide to. Dahlias are big and showy with lots of colors to choose from.You probably wont get blooms until July but they will bloom until frost, they need staking and to be dug up in the Fall. Cannas will also give you some mass fairly quickly. Zinnia grow fast from seed, which would allow you to plant lots inexpensively and they will bloom through to frost. They are all tall. If you want lower growing flowers Petunias will spread, but you would have to buy flats of them this late.

Those are not particularly innovative suggestions, but you want something fast and easy.

Good luck with it

• Kittybart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mandolls - No that's great. I don't need innovative, just quick, easy and relatively inexpensive. Thank you!

• Kittybart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think i'm going to do marigold and celosia. Is there something that makes those not good choices? It seems like they would do okay? I fear I will need a LOT though, to cover the space.

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

Celosia and marigolds would do well in full sun but marigolds do require deadheading or they will shut down flower production. In fact there are not many plants that do not require deadheading to keep them producing flowers. If you are doing them why not buy some dwarf marigold seed and plant some plants and stagger them by planting seed in between, Marigolds only take a month from seed to flowering. I would also suggest zinnia seed. It too is a fast grower. Doing it this way you'd have some color with the plants and soon some tiny green plants. By July you should have a full bed of flowers. Just remember to water so the seed sprouts

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

You can do zinnias and cosmos from seed. In order to reduce the amount if deadheading needed, cut lots of bouquets for inside.