Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Nicotiana 'Perfume Deep Purple'

ginny12
17 years ago

Has anyone grown this in their garden? It came out last year but I just saw it at a nursery today and bought three plants. It is gorgeous--I don't even care if it is fragrant. The most glowing purple, like a stained-glass window. I am dying to hear how they do in the garden or in a container.

Comments (21)

• triple_b
    17 years ago

I wintersowed them and ONE came up. However I am babying it and hoping for the best. Something to look forward to, thanks!

• lam702
    17 years ago

I haven't grown the deep purple yet, but I've grown the perfume mix, and they are great, a beautiful fragrance. Like all nicotiana, very easy to grow. I've never wintersown them, but I would think you'd have better luck starting them indoors, since they like warm temps. Nicotiana does reseed in the garden too. It's one of my favorite annuals, due to it's not being fussy about soil, taking drought, blooming heavily with little care, and the strong fragrance. I'm going to try the deep purple next year, because the one thing I don't care for with any mix of nicotiana is the green flowered kinds. Some may like green flowers, but to me, the color just fades into the background, it doesn't pop out at you the way brighter colors do. So, I prefer nicotiana in separate colors. Of course, the original white color is always nice too.

• southern
    17 years ago

i am growing lots of these. the ones on my porch in a container are about a foot tall and just now starting to bloom. filled with buds. the ones in the flower bed not nearly so tall. i havn't really noticed the fragrance yet except for bending down and smelling and it is very nice. i hope they reseed true to color.
    cindy

• triple_b
    17 years ago

The ones with the best scent are definitely the heirloom white sylvestris. They grow the biggest but you don't have to get your nose down to find the fragrance: IT finds YOU. I am growing a mix of nicos on my deck, all crammed into one container. The white will lead the way with scent and the other colors, although also scented to a degree, will be there more for accent. It will live under my living room window.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just got these in the ground today because we have been having floods of rain here til recently. Didn't dare plant any annuals out. These are gorgeous with purple-color foliage plants like Heuchera 'Purple Petticoats'. I had intended them for a container but somehow they jumped into the ground. Anyone have any further opinions on this one yet? Does it fill out and get full-looking? Mine are tall and skinny from sitting in little pots for so long.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

2 green thumbs up for this one....I am absolutely impressed with Nicotiana 'Perfume Deep Purple', it's stunning, not much of a fragrance during the day, but in the evening itÂs divine. It will be on my annual list for years to come, thatÂs for sure! IÂll see if I can get a photo soon ;)

Sharon

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am bumping this up as someone is interested in this and there is already some good info on this thread. My report on this plant is that I planted them in too much shade. The shade, plus the non-stop rain in May and June, has kept flowering to a minimum. Also, I wish I had cut off the existing flowering stems when I bought them. Now that I have, I am getting much stockier, bushier plants.

In sum, these need SUN and a bit of pinching at first. I do think a great show is on its way, judging by the buds that are forming. And as a PS, it's a good idea to do a search in the "Search" box at the bottom of the page to see if a topic is already being discussed. It is so helpful to have the info all in one place if we want to print it out. Just a thought.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

{{gwi:9659}}
    Nicotiana 'Perfume Deep Purple'

Here is the photo I promised....the plants are planted in an old wheelbarrel which is located in part-sun, it gets fertilized once a week with Miracle Gro and daily deadheading.

I love it, my nose loves it and especially the hummers love it ;)

Sharon

• triple_b
    17 years ago

Sharon
    That looks awesome! Try mixing it with the white next year, for color accent and increased scent? Or would white be too tall? Just a thought.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon--Just beautiful! But I vote for the color combo you have now--purple and pink. Love it.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks Triple and Ginny, I have growing right next to it in a big ol' wash tub of Nicotiana x sanderae ÂFragrant CloudÂ, this one too smells heavenly in the evening.
    {{gwi:5520}}

Here is an update of the N. 'Perfume Deep Purple', they're growing like crazy ;)
    {{gwi:9663}}

Sharon

• franeli
    17 years ago

Gorgeous photos!
    I saw some the other day in a village garden...nice, deep purple!
    Guess I'll have to add that nicotiana to my 'have to have' list.
    I wonder how those nicotianas would be growing with ammi majus,hmmm

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

crazy_gardener...those are some gorgeous containers! I was looking at the photo and trying to figure out what that container was in the first photo, then read the post...an old wheelbarrel..lol. Great idea! Plus I love the old wash basin and putting that Nicotiana Fragrant Cloud in a container alone was brilliant. It has such a strong form. I don't usually find nicotiana too appealing, as I never have had much luck growing them and I guess I have only tried them a couple of times. I was always disappointed with the fragrance being non existant. I would love to try that white Fragrant Cloud. Where did you get the seed? Also, you mentioned part sun...would that be afternoon sun?

Great job with your containers. :-)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

prairiemoon2, In past experiences I found that only some whites had some fragrance till I tried the ÂPerfume Deep PurpleÂ, seriously in the evening they are to die for! Every chance I get IÂm out there sitting in that corner in the evenings. Finally a coloured Nicotiana with an outstanding fragrance, for sure on my annuals list next year.

Same with the N. ÂFragrant CloudÂ, superb scent in the evenings, I purchased those seeds from Thompson & Morgan and they give you lots in a packet!

Oh btw, I collect all kinds of junk, well not junk, treasures for planting annuals in ;)

franeli, Ammi majus pretty well will go with anything, I think the two would look really nice together.

Sharon

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 years ago

Thanks Sharon..they will be on my list for next year too. :-)

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

I'm reviving this thread from last year to get some thoughts from last year's gorgeous flowers and some tips on seed saving or plant saving.

I bought a pot with 4 2ft tall plants in it last week and planted it in a container on my deck. The evening scent is wonderful!

Has anyone successfully saved seeds, re-sown, and had luck with either winter sowing or inside growing and have it come "true"?

Thanks so much!! Lc Grace

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad you revived this thread. Coincidentally, I just saw these in pots at a nursery--very tall and very gorgeous. But I didn't buy them because they really did nothing for me last year. As others have succeeded, it must be the spot where I planted them.

As far as growing them from seed, it must be possible because Thompson and Morgan sells the seed. I don't know about saving seed and having them come true tho.

• debbie_gardener
    16 years ago

I have been growing these for the past couple of years. I have gathered my own seed and they have always come true for me. I don't like them so much during the day because the blooms are closed up a bit, but they open up as soon as the sun starts to wane a little. They are very easy to grow as well.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Even though there's a faint fragrance in the air, I really put my nose in the flower to get a good whiff! I did take a look at Thompson & Morgan's website and was thrilled to find all of the most recommended varieties for fragrance.

My mom has grown these for continual bloom throughout the summer by dead-heading and are gorgeous but she never realized that it may have a scent. She calls the star flowers.

I'm anxious to try the other varieties....and the Sylvestris can be 6 ft tall? in zone 5? maybe? Wow! Are these strong enough on their own or would they need staking?

You'll be able to smell my yard from miles away next year!!

• Patriz
    16 years ago

I give it a thumb's up! Mine are flowering now and the deep purple color is very beautiful. The scent is very mild during the day. I can't tell how much wafting there is at night because my Nicotiana 'Perfume Deep Purple' is planted with Lantana and is also near Night Blooming Jessamine and Lakeview Jasmine, all of which are in bloom. I guess you might say that it's a little over the top here with fragrance...lol. The Nicotiana and Lantana are in large containers, with flowering Ivy Geraniums and Creeping Jenny. Anyway, these Nicotianas are truly worth having around :)