Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Uh oh....new million bells basket troubles already

bgaviator
10 years ago

I hope I didn't just screw up my mother-in-law's new million bells hanging baskets. The one looks fine, but the other one the leaves and flowers are all droopy and wilty looking. We haven't been getting a ton of sun lately, and I am afraid I might have given it too much water. I also noticed that these hanging baskets didn't have any drainage holes in them....there is a large drainage hole in the middle of the basket, but it almost looks to me like there is an inner plastic liner, that would not allow the water to drain out. I drilled some drainage holes in it thinking this might be an issue.

First pic is of wilted looking basket....

Comments (9)

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...the basket that looks ok

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the main drain in the center though was covered by plastic though...i could understand if the main drain was open, but from what I could tell there was no way for the water to run out....that's why I drilled some holes in the bottom.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I always put holes in the true bottom of a hanging basket and remove the plastic divider at the bottom and add more soil. Those pots are plant killers because the hole that is there is usually recessed about 1/2" above the bottom of the pot. That's 1/2" of standing water, which will kill plants. The added soil is a much more healthy way to have a longer interval between waterings.

They are also probably growing in peat, which has particles that are small enough to fit closely together, filling all spaces in the pot, leaving no tiny air pockets. This is also not good for roots, which need to breathe. Peat holds onto moisture for an excessively long time until suddenly it's so dry that it's hydrophobic.

For this reason, I usually repot the plants, but gave up buying ready-made baskets a long time ago unless that's the only way to get a certain plant. It's easier to make my own with "good" soil and no worries about having to repot them mid-summer so they don't die.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

Put your finger into the soil in the basket and determine if it's soppy or dry. I'm guessing it's probably close to bone dry. If dry and you chose not to repot it, as Purpleinopp has suggested, then you need to really soak the basket so it takes up the water. This will require that you submerge it in water to the soil level and keep it there until it finally takes the water - this is not just a 5 minute dunk.

Then be sure not to let either basket get too dry or you'll have to do the submerge bit again to get the potting medium to wet.

And just as soon as I advise you to be sure the soil is wet, I'll also add the warning that you don't want to keep it in a permanent soppy state either.

It's like the 3 little bears' porridge but in this instance the potting medium should be not too dry and not too wet but just right.

10 years ago

That sounds like a good plan for dealing with the peat, June. It's too frustrating for me. With the hole in the bottom, at least you won't have to worry about the standing water. Did you decide if it had wilted from being too dry or too wet, BG?

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

not really sure.....the plant has seemed to bounce back after I drilled some drain holes in the bottom. Maybe it was too wet then? We haven't really had too many hot days, or sunny days for that matter lately, so I wouldn't think they would be drying out that bad yet....most likely they were too wet.

10 years ago

Yeah, this is tricky, and frustrating because visually both problems look the same. With a little practice, you'll probably get better at it, although killing a hanging basket or two is pretty normal in a summer for about anybody, it's a tough growing environment.

Now that there are holes, excess water shouldn't be able to cause a devastating problem, unless you're constantly adding more water. Picking up the pot can help you feel the difference in heavy-ness between the wet plant and when it's dried out. I always think my plants are thirsty too. Picking them up helps me realize they're not sometimes. Changing soils has helped tremendously, since plants aren't killed if I can't control my urges with the watering can.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I have never had problems with the resirvor, Actually, I think they do better with it, especially because im not the person to rush water to a ailing plant in 95 dehree heat like that in albany in summer

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths