Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So it's okay to transplant zinnias?

Posted by alisande Zone 4b (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 18:24

I'd always read that transplanting zinnias alters the flowers, producing single instead of double blooms. Therefore, zinnias should be sown directly in the ground. Yet I've been reading here that it's okay to start them indoors. Is there a trick to transplanting them, or is my previous information simply an old wives' tale?

Thanks!

Susan
who bought way too many zinnia seeds this year

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So it's okay to transplant zinnias?

I have to have zinnias up and running by Mother's Day and hate to do them in the g'houses. The profusions are a snap, but the zinnia elegans are very temperamental as seedlings. They can transplant just fine though, especially if you transplant them on the green side.

That being said, I much prefer to sow them directly in the ground when doing them for myself. They are so happy when you wait until it's consistantly warm and sow them in situ. Nothing could be easier. They take off and fly quickly so why bother with transplanting. Sort of like growing melons or corn. LOL

o

I've transplanted zinnias. I adore them and plant tons of seeds directly in the flower and vegetable gardens. Once they are up, I don't have the heart to throw away the ones I thin and they end up in containers and other areas that need a little filling in. So far, no problem. They look a little sad at first, but I just keep them watered and they spring right back and bloom up a storm, and in double or single blooms, depending on the plant.

BTW Susan, you can never have too many zinnia seeds, I think I have over 2000 seeds to plant this year. I consider them the workhorse of my gardens, can put them almost anywhere and have beautiful flowers. One of my favorite things to do with them is to put in rows interspersed in the veggie garden, like right next to a veggie that has an early harvest so the space is filled the rest of the season aka, cool weather crops like peas. I've also made living fences out of the taller ones, made a border in the open space next to my tomtoes one year to block the turkeys, worked great, got unturkey pecked tomatoes and beautiful flowers at the same time, lol.

o

Susan, to specifically answer your question: transplanting does not alter the bloom....and that's one old wives' tale I hadn't heard!

I start all of mine inside.

o

Zone 4 is a short growing season.
I always start my zinnias indoors and transplant after frost danger.
I make sure they never get root bound,so that means they are usually transplanted from quart size containers.
I've never had single flowers.

o

Thanks for the advice, everyone. This is such a wacky spring, weatherwise. I normally have sunflowers ready to transplant by this time, but this year they haven't even germinated yet. I thought it was late to be starting zinnias, but if I'd started them at the same time as the sunflowers, I'd just be looking at more little pots of dirt.

However, onward and upward.......I'll start some zinnias this weekend. Again, thanks!

o

alisande,

I transplanted zinnias from pot last year and they did fine. This year, I direct sowed them about 2 weeks ago since it was warm. Just last weekend, I saw 3 sprouts. Lately, it's been cold here. They've seen 38F and the seedlings are still doing fine. My sprouts in the pots are also doing fine.

o

Thanks for all this great info. I sowed some in some peat trays and getting ready to set them out. They are the Giant Cactus type. I guess its called that because the blooms look somewhat like cactus flowers. Anyone grown this type? Also, does anyone have any tips on preventing powdery mildew? Thanks in advance.
Susan.

o

PS, I meant to mention that I am a different Susan. Sorry!

o

I grew some giant cactus last year, and I liked them. After a rain and humid day, they got powdery mildew, but they continued to bloom. I am in Michigan, and I think it would be more difficult to prevent that from hapeening in GA.

o

I planted six kinds of zinnias, and noticed that one of the seed packets said starting the seeds early and then transplanting will results in smaller (not single) flowers. I hope this isn't true either, as I love those big, extravagant blooms, especially the quilled and ruffled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here