Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue and purple salvia together

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 19:52

Well,since I nixed the use of the lobelia in my full sun - crescent shaped bed, I decided on blue salvia and purple salvia planted together, staggered. The blue can reach 12" (or more, like it did there one year) and the purple around 10". I've planted both of these annuals more than once over the years and have always had great luck with them - even in the hottest of summers. My only concern is that the blue's foliage will crowd out the purple. Guess I'll find out come late June or early July. I'll try to post a photo.

One note, the two flats of purple were the last ones at the nursery and had already been pinched back - some of them severely. Normally salvia doesn't mind that so I'm optimistic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue and purple salvia together

Sounds nice....but I think I would have added some bright red too...

o

For some reason, I don't care for red in my garden. Unless it's a rosey shade, which is the color of the nasturtiums I plant every year - except this year. I planted a mahogany colored nasturtium. Will be interesting to see if they are actually a very dark red or indeed a deep brown/red. In one of my borders, I have blue eyed grass and magenta pinks planted together.

But, blue/purple/bright red would be a good color combination in someone else's garden. Thanks for the feedback.

o

If that's what you were asking, is for a third colour.... how about some dusty miller? Or something white, I've read white is great for 'gluing' other colours together, or giving the eye a rest between shades, and it might accentuate the blues and purples.

Can't wait to see photos, I've not been brave enough yet to do a big block of one colour yet, and I'd love to do blue, but fear I'll cave and buy up some peaches and salmons and reds, and then there goes the monotone idea!

kioni

o

Not looking for a third color this time, but I did consider doing a blue with a lighter blue, then plant an initial (letter B for the name of my schoolhouse)in a white; but maybe next year. Yes, Dusty Miller is good, I tried that by planting blue salvia then bordering it with Dusty Miller one season; but, the salvia grew taller and over the DM. The bed is a crescent shape with a boxwood hedge (kept clipped 8") around it. So height is the main concern when choosing the annual(s) to fill it. The lobelia was the perfect height, but not the perfect plant for the area.

Last year I tried putting purple salvia in the center and blue ageratum as the border. The ageratum got more foliage than bloom for some reason, got tall, and then ragged looking quickly, even tho I pinched back frequently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here