Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will someone please help with my snapdragons?

Posted by aggierose Tx-Dallas (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 20:35

I planted snapdragons a few years ago. I have never done anything to them, but they survive through the winter and bloom great in the spring. I will trim them down when they get bushy. They bloomed great this year, but last week I noticed of them looked horrible. When I took a closer look, I saw that the leaves all had a yellow tint to them and there are brown spots all over the stems and the undersides of the leaves. They are almost completely covered with these spots and the plants look very close to dead. When I rub the spots I am just left with a brownish powdery substance on my fingers. The nursery said it is mites, but it sure doesn't look like mites to me. Could this be rust? I've never seen it before. If it is, can I just cut the plants to the ground and let them re-grow or do I have to pull them all up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will someone please help with my snapdragons?

I'm surprised they have lasted this long. Snaps are a cool season annual in my area (almost a straight line east of Dallas). I plant them with pansies in the fall, and then pull them up and discard them when the heat moves in. Mine have been pretty for several weeks now, but will probably come out inside of two weeks more, if not sooner. The yellowing and brown spots are what I see when they begin to burn up in the late spring/early summer heat. Be happy! Pull them up and plant zinnias! :)

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 08 at 21:02

Puccinia antirrhini - aka snapdragon rust - a common malady, especially when temps are cool.

Some sulfur sprays are effective at prevention and help with control.

Al

o

donnabaskets, I must not have explained very well. The brown spots are only on the bottom of the leaves and the stems, and they are actually bumps. When I rub them I have a brown powdery substance on them. All of the brown spots are almost perfect circles. It is definitely not burn from heat as I have seen that on many other plants before. These same plants have made it through 2 previous summers here in Dallas. I don't know why. I know they aren't supposed to, but they have with no trouble at all from the heat. They are under a tree so that probably helps. I don't want to pull them up because I was happy I had found a plant that would live all year long. I spend so much money on plants that it helps to find some that last forever. They don't bloom all year of course (only in the spring), but they live and look good as little bushes. I don't even have to do anything to protect them in the winter and they are on the north side of my house! If you have any other thoughts on what this might be please let me know. I would really like to save them.

o

tapla suggested one problem above. I'm sure you and I both know how common fungal diseases are in our hot, humid (or cold, damp) south. Try tapla's remedy. If they recover, and you ever get seeds from them, let me know! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here