Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Petunias

bugbite
10 years ago

70% of my flowers are volunteers. But this is the first year I had volunteer petunias. Many different colors but you can't tell it from this picture.
Bob

Comments (8)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Pretty! Are they fragrant? One of my favorite summer scents is petunia - especially on warm summer nights...evoke such memories...

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The pictures are frustrating; they don't do them justice.
    Yes, they are fragrant. Thanks for asking. I have a number of scents going on now. I really have to smell each plant up close to see what is what. Have a new rose from seed that is producing strong scent, plus 5 fragrant Belinda's Dream rose bushes, plus Jasmine, plus lagustrum and lowqut. Also another fragrant petunia from seeds I got in a trade, Rain Master. One patch is not blooming; another is blooming like crazy. That has fragrance.
    Have some snaps scattered around the garden patches. Wish those were fragrant. Snaps are my fondest scent from childhood. Think I will post a request for names of fragrant snaps.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I love the scent of petunias, too. Ligustrum I can do without, lol.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo,
    My closest friend is an retired allergy doctor.
    He said a lot of people have issues with Ligustrums flowers.
    So far they have not bothered me and I like the smell.
    Hope my luck continues, or I will have to cut down 12 bushes. :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

For most, the dislike of ligustrum's flowers have nothing to do with allergies at all but with the individuals' olfactory receptors. I find their odor almost intolerably pungent and cloying. From a distance of a couple hundred feet, I like the smell.

Other people don't have that same sense of smell and just love them! I guess that you must be in that group.

I once had a horticulture student who had no sense of smell, none! Can you imagine?

Bob, have you ever visited the Fragrant Plants forum? It's always a fun place to visit for ideas and inspiration.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the same issue I found with products with fragrance. One major company produced an amazing hand cream, but the fragrance was so strong and the scent was like a brothel.
    The product quickly ceased to exist.
    I am sure they came up with every reason in the book to rationalize its demise, except that the strong fragrance killed the product.
    I'll try the forum, thanks.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I cannot stand the stench of lingustrum

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teengardener,
    Certainly can relate. Each person is manufactured with a varying sense of smell and even color perception, and specially a difference in how we each perceive taste.
    How varied is personalized smell perception? It is major.
    I like the smell of fresh hay and fresh soil, even a wisp of cow manure brings back fond memories. As one source says," Our sense of smell is connected really well to our memory."
    But there are many fragrant roses I don't like and some petunias, and on and on; many, many commerical fragrances I can't stand.
    I guess bottomline is we all smell, taste, and see differently. As many different faces as there are in the world is probably the number of different composites of sensory cells in the world.
    If you want to see this quickly and easily, ask each member of your family to take a bite of bitter baking chocolate and get their reaction. The diiference between people is striking.
    Bob

And what about your poor dog (if you have one): "Dogs have 1 million smell cells per nostril and their smell cells are 100 times larger than humans!" When he gets hit with a bad smell it's probably 100 times worse then your reaction to ligustrums :-)