Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavatera Trimestris

Posted by barsac z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 8:10

Folks,
I grew Lavatera Trimestris Twins from seed this year and planted them early (April) out in full sun. They were gorgeous thru mid-June. Now, the leaves are getting shriveled and brown. It certainly isn't drying out, we've had a wet season here in the D.C. area. It is hot and humid now and I'm wondering if this plant is more of a cool season annual? I'm having the exact same problem with my Bells of Ireland. They started out beautiful and now are shriveling and browning up (although I notice the leaves here have tan spots on them first before they totally shrivel).
I have these plants in a huge bed up front with tons of other annuals that are all doing great with this weather we've been having (regular rain and sunshine).

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavatera Trimestris

Bells of Ireland is considered a cool season plant. Lavatera trimestris is not supposed to be, but when I planted it last year, it died out by midsummer. One person's one time experience isn't definitive, but maybe others will chime in.

o

I find that there are a lot of annuals that can't take frost, but can't take the heat either. They probably do very well as summer annuals in cool climates, but I have given up on ever growing these types. I find Nasturiums, Nemesia, Salpiglossis, Schizanthus and Brachycome are like this too.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 15:35

Lavatera are BEAUTIFUL when in full flower! I have grown them in the past, and I found that after the first flowering, which occured around beginning of July and lasted about a month, they petered out and didn't really flower much, if at all, the rest of the season. I grew them a couple seasons in a row, and each experience was the same. Mine were grown from seed each season.

I don't grow them anymore because I plant annuals for sheer flower power - if I wanted something in a particular spot with only a month or so of solid blooming, I would plant a perennial.

You could do succession plantings, sow three to four batches of seeds about a month apart, and that should solve the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here