Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth time of geranium cuttings?

Posted by frank325 Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 11:09

This is my first year getting geraniums (zonal) and I put 2 of them together in a container outside. I'm thinking maybe I should have put them in separate containers, because right now they fill it up a lot. Is that an issue since it's only mid-June? Would it have been better to put them in their own containers instead of trying to get a full-looking container right from the get go?

That's one question, but the main question I had was taking cuttings. I've never done this for any plant. How long, in general, might it take for a cutting to go from just cut and planted to looking like the plant you'd buy in the spring from a nursery? I wanted to try it for these guys, but had no idea when I should do it. Could I take cuttings in the fall and overwinter them indoors and end up with a big plant in the spring? Would a south facing window be best for them all winter, or a plant light in the basement?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth time of geranium cuttings?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 17:07

When I was using geraneums for landscaping, andw anted one particular color, I would bring my big plant in the house before frost, and keep it watered in a south window and take cuttings the first week of January. Root them in sandand pot themup and by midMay they were looking wonderful.
But it happendmore quickly in the summer. If you take cuttings now, they probably will look like a "store bought plant" in about 2 1/2months.
Linda C

o

Wow! That's a lot faster than I was thinking. They really get that big in 2 1/2 months? I figured it would take longer since they don't root for a few weeks.

o

Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 23:27

How big a cutting will you take? And how big do you want them to be?
You take a tiny sprig and it will root in about 2 to 3 weeks and grow ....take a bigger piece and it will be bigger once it gets roots.
Linda C

o

My geraniums always seem to grow slowly. I fertilize my potted plants, but not a lot. What's the secret to getting them to grow more quickly?

o

Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 11:29

Sunshine!

o

Hmmm. Ok. I'll work on that. Sunshine has been in short supply around here lately. Thanks.

o

The neat thing about starting plants by cuttings, is that they are, no matter how tiny, still an adult plant. Their plant hormones dictate flowering and even tiny cuttings can flower, as opposed to a seed started plant. So, if you need something like a blooming geranium, pronto, a cutting can give you a performing plant faster.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 15:45

Geraniums don't mind tight root zones, so potting two in a pot shouldn't be much of a problem if the plants are still not really big specimens.

I haven't taken cuttings, but I do successfully do overwinter geraniums. In the fall before a hard frost hits (a little frost is okay, a heavy frost and they're toast), I dig them up, shake off what dirt I can, and throw them in paper bags (mine are large plants so I use the big paper lawn bags). Then I close the top of the bag and put against the coldest wall in the crawl space. Approximately beginning of March, I take them out, trim them back severely (usually see some green growth starting by now), pot them up and place under grow lights. They get going pretty quickly. When the outside temps warm up during the day (around 50s), I take them out during the day, back in at night - the sunshine really gets them going and they get full and lush, indoors they just don't get that nice looking. Then of course I harden off thoroughly when it's close to planting-out time.

I've got some B-I-G plants now, they just get bigger and better every year!!

So, I would just let them go dormant and store them (mostly because I'm terrible with keeping things alive in the house, plus I don't want to be bothered tending plants over the winter).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here