Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunias, do I cut them back????

Posted by gardenlady76 TX coast/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 12:03

I normally do not grow Petunias, but, this year I planted three big hanging baskets and they were just beautiful. But, the Texas heat has not been kind to them. I have been deadheading and watering two or three times a day and now they are really beginning to look ragged. Can I cut them back a bit because they are getting leggy looking? And, the new blooms are getting smaller and smaller. To cut or not to cut?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunias, do I cut them back????

Absolutely, give them a good haircut right away. You should also be fertilizing them frequently with a low dose of soluble fertilizer. Some do it at every watering, but I don't feed my outdoor flowering containers that often.

It sounds like they might be in a location that received full sun all day long. Is there a place you can hang them where they might not get hit by the strongest afternoon sun? It's SO hot where you are right now!

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 12:44

Totally different zone up here, but just to chime in - I shear my petunias back mid-season (usually around middle of July). They look cr*ppy for a week or two afterwards but fill back fairly quickly and then the flower display picks up again. If I don't shear back after they poop out mid-summer, well, they're just pooped out then...

o

Next year, if you buy babies again, pinch (tip prune) them right away. It's hard to do, remove the pretty flowers you just bought, but this usually encourages lateral branching and fuller plants with many more blooms on each.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here