Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower top chewed off before blooming

Posted by muskie34 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 12:53

The top of my mammoth sunflower (4ft tall) was chewed off last night before even blooming. Will the top continue to grow? Should i re-plant the part that was chewed off and will that grow? what can i do to save this flower?

thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower top chewed off before blooming

It should send out lateral branches which will both flower but with slightly smaller heads. And the whole plant will probably be somewhat shorter than it might have been, but as it's a mammoth, that still should be fairly tall. I have in recent years been purposely pruning some of my taller plants to achieve a greater fullness, and somewhat lessen the need for staking. Not that a sunflower much needs staking. :) And I wouldn't bother trying to get the chewed off top to grow.

o
RE: Sunflower top chewed off before blooming

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here