Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arielletea

Celosia dying after put in the ground

arielletea
13 years ago

About 4 months ago I bought a set of 6 very short (2-3 in.) brightly colored celosia's. I had them on the balcony of my apt. which got only about 2-3 hours of sun and they did fine. I recently moved into a new apt with a gardening area, and i let them have fun sun in there pots. Healthy and thriving, about 2 weeks ago I transferred them into the ground where once again they only get 2-3 hours of light, but they look wonderful there. All 6 of the plants are doing well until a few started to dull. Still strong, i slowly noticed some of the leaves starting to die but they are doing fine, two of them still pretty bright, but my one orange one in the middle is like, totally dying. I water about every 2 days and they are planted next to my mini snapdragons which just finished flowering...anything I can do to save this little lovely orange celosia?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Boy your plants have been on a rollercoaster ride.

Celosia is a full sun plant. That means they need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight a day.

If you had kept them on your balcony they would have probably gotten leggy looking for the sun. Then you give them the sun they require only to yank them back in the shade. 2 to 3 hours of sun is considered full shade.

You might be giving them too much water. The soil in the shade doesn't dry out like that in the sun.

• arielletea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awwww so should i dig up these beauties and put them back in there pots they're roots have already spread =[ definetly needs less watering i suppose...i dont want to lose them! As far as my plants and their amusement park adventure...that's not even the beginning my nasturtium vanilla berry flowers- every time a bud comes up a leaf turns yellow, and then when they flower two turn yellow- i have to pick them off but they dont grow back. if they arent flowering they are a bright healthy green...

my plants are weirding me out they dont usually act so funny!

• arielletea
    Original Author
    13 years ago

haha oh man i love my flowers so much i can sit outside and stare for hours like, watching them grow! totally bitten by the garden bug. I dont want to re pot them after taking them out- i feel like that was too much on them already; i'll leave them in the ground i guess, however, my little orange one which was wilted this morning is now completely dark brown and dead......shall i say goodbye?

• izharhaq
    13 years ago

one thing i learned through growing cockscomb and celosia myself is to keep them a bit on dry side... seedlings and young plants before blooming respond well to frequent watering but as soon as the plumes and crests are visible watering should be decreased with dry intervals in between..

Izhar

• dorne
    11 years ago

My Celosia are totaly screwed up, leaves are still green but shrivelled.The plumes are almost non existant. I am in zone 11 and wonder if the Caribbean sun is just too much for them.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    11 years ago

celosia do not like to be moved and don't like root disturbance.

• Cat
    8 years ago

mine are just about dead, from the sun. they look terrible. I cut them back in case they have a chance of living, they're all withered and shriveled up. I didn't even recognize them. What a shame.