Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good fertilizer

Posted by terratoma 7a (music1@ntelos.net) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 15:12

This is my first year adding annuals to the garden beds, planting Brazilian Verbena, several types of salvia, heliotrope, nicotiana, etc. among the perennials, as well as along the front of the beds. I'd appreciate some suggestions and guidance regarding a good fertilizer to use for the remainder of the growing season. I'd prefer something I could mix with water and apply either to the leaves or at the base of the plant with a watering can. Time is not a problem; I can apply as frequently as needed.
What product would you suggest that should be readily available?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good fertilizer

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 15:41

I use Osmocote timed release granules on my annuals when I plant them. I'm lazy with fertilizing. With the Osmocote, it's once and done.

o

is your soil so sterile.. that they need to be juiced???

or is this an 'i have to feed my babies' sort of thing ...

you would be better off.. adding compost.. and build a good fertile soil ...

that said ... i would buy the cheapest water soluble 'general purpose' plant food.. and go to town .. according to the label ...

brand names .. and marketing hype.. is just that ...

wallyworld it is ...

ken

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 17:16

Ken - the whole point of annuals is the flower power, they do better with a good dose of fertilizer. I agree with your advice in general, but the annuals need a kick in the butt and lots of juice in the tank to produce consistently throughout the season.

o

Hi terratoma,

" I'd prefer something I could mix with water and apply either to the leaves or at the base of the plant with a watering can. Time is not a problem; I can apply as frequently as needed. "

I use and recommend the Miracle-Gro products. I use the Miracle-Gro Tomato Food on my young zinnias and switch to Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster when they enter the budding and blooming stage. Full strength is 1 tablespoon per gallon sprinkled on as a drench that feeds the foliage and the roots simultaneously. The full strength is applied every 7 to 14 days. For optimum growth, apply it more frequently at a reduced strength. A teaspoon per gallon applied every two or three days would be very effective and safe for tender plant parts like petals.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
zenman, sounds like the Bloom Booster is exactly what I'm looking for!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here