Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tithonia Availablility

Posted by mwieder z5 NE OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 16:00

I've been to 4 garden center's in the NE Ohio area and can't find Mexican Sunflower (Tithonia rotundifolia). Where have people been successfull in finding it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tithonia Availablility

I've never seen it locally here. If I want it, it's seeds only for me.

Tracy

o

I went to my really nice big garden center and asked about it and they too told me they don't carry it and that I would probably only be able to get it by growing my own from seed. I just didn't feel like starting it this late so it looks like I'll have to do without it this year. I did try winter sowing it but it was one of the jugs that didn't sprout. I started it too early. Next year I will wait and try starting it later in the Spring. It needs more heat to sprout.

o

The local nursery carries the plants....but they are so easy to grow....i buy the seeds.....they come in different varieties of color and height.......the only problme i have had with them.....in late summer they get mildew...

o

I tried both direct sowing them and sowing in pots . . . nothing! Is there any trick to getting them to germinate? I'd really like them for my butterfly garden this year.

Thanks!

:-) Mel

o

Mel....i just plant mine in the ground where i want them to be.....they seem to take a bit more time to germinate than some annuals.....but when they come up....they are hardy....i just love the bright orange flowers..so do the butterflies

carol

o

I have had no luck winter sowing these. I'm thinking they are a late spring sowing candidate using the winter sowing method. I will try that next year.

o

When you think about whether a seed can be winter sown or not, think about the plant it produces. Those annual seeds from plants originating in hot/dry areas, and love hot/dry growing conditions are poor winter sowing candidates in Ohio. Tithonia, commonly called Mexican Sunflower doesn't even like to germinate until soil is warm. Just the name implies it loves sun/heat and comes from a southern climate.

If I sow them directly outside this one would be sown well past last frost date. Even if the seed didn't die from the cold in winter sowing, the cold, wet and dank conditions of early spring would predispose it to rot before germination.

o

the mexican sunflower is a robust grower from seed. wait until several weeks past your average last frost date and direct seed in the spot you want it to grow. In 45 days it is virtually full size. They are amazingly fast growers and a beautiful bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here