Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Deadhead Portulaca?

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 08 at 16:56

Hi
Just wondering if I should deadhead Portulaca.
Thanks so much!

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Deadhead Portulaca?

You don't have to, but you can. You just have to be careful because the new little buds are so close to the dying ones. Personally, I do it because the plants look cleaner sooner! So I'm just beating them to what they're going to do anyway. Happy gardening! Maureen

o

Hi Maureen

Thanks Maureen for your imput! I see your point about the proximately of the old flower and the new bud. If I don't deadhead them do you think it will impair its flowering?

Dale

o

I think you can leave them alone if that's your preference. The plant chucks the dead foliage pretty quickly. I'll deadhead mine occasionally only because they're right by my front door and if I'm just standing there... Maureen

o

Hi all,

I deadhead mine too. I also save the seed pods for the next year. Very easy to do with these. They reseed great! Just wait until the part where the petals were turns really black and pluck them off. Good Luck!!

o

• Posted by amna 6 (MA) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 21:18

Hello everyone,

If you don't deadhead portulaca, is there a possibility that it will come back next year? I read somewhere that once they establish themselves they can reseed and come back? I grew some from seed this year and they've just started blooming - so pretty! Wish they were perenninals.

Anyone had any experience with portulaca coming back particularly in zone6?

Thanks,
Amna

o

Howdy,
I remove the ripe seed pods and scatter the seeds back into the planter. Each year I get a nice new batch of plants. You also can just let the seeds fall on their own. They should do as well in your zone 6 as it does in my zone 7.

o

Amna,

They do overwinter here in Maine (Zone 5) too.

o

My neighbor turned me on to Portulaca, and her's reseeds. I will find out this year, but I am collecting seed just in case, too.

o

Sounds good to me!
Thanks again!
Dale

o

I love popping open the seed pods when dried and collecting all the seeds inside. They resemble poppy seeds. It's fun!

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 08 at 13:28

Portulaca is an annual and won't overwinter.
It will reseed...no need to save seeds just let what falls on the ground be. I also suspect the seeds have to be stratified to grow.
Linda C

o

No they do not require stratification.

o

I look forward to next years Portulaca!

o

I have had portulaca for years. They not only survive the winter but self seed too. Because of this I have so many of them that they are very crowded in solid 'mats' in their pots and never bloom anymore. I like the little green plants but is there a way I can get them to bloom again? I love to watch them open in the sun and close at night.

Thanks
Terri

o

• Posted by izhar Karachi, Pakistan/ 1 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 7:26

Just thin em up..!! leaving only the younger plants, start giving them a general purpose liquid fertilizer, until they start blooming again...

here are mine:

Photobucket

Cheers~

Izhar

o

Oops! I found this thread just after I had deadheaded my Portulaca. I'm afraid I snipped off the dead buds. Have I ruined my plants?

o

No, you haven't ruined them, they'll recover and develop new growing tips.

o

Whew! Thanks for so quickly letting me know there's hope! This is my first year to do Portulaca, and I absolutely love them. I paired them with bright yellow Marigolds and a spikey grass in the center. They really make a statement in the outside planters here at the office.

o

I have portulaca in my deck boxes. SEVERAL years ago, I bought one six pack of some singles that were sold as a "tropical sunset" blend. I love the colors: magentas, oranges, yellows, etc. They faithfully reseeded into one box for years. Last fall, I cleaned out all the dead plants after frost, put them in a bag, and in the spring, sprinkled the "trash" in my other boxes. Every box has plants in them and are gorgeous. Couldn't ask for anything easier than that!

o

A new friend just introduced me to Portulaca. She has them in pots all over the place and finds it very relaxing to deadhead them. I think I'll pick them up this weekend, the Tequila Mix. The colors will go nicely with the "Corona Gold" of my house (as my DD calls it).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here