Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckybloom

Direct sowing cleome in area where poppies grow in spring

beckybloom
14 years ago

I have a large part of an even larger bed where beautiful orange poppies come up every spring. For the eight years that I have lived here, every June as the poppy foliage dies back, cleome would come up and would be in gorgeous bloom by mid to late July. These two plants provided a very nice curbside view to my garden. Two years ago we had parts of this bed re-landscaped (should have done it myself but I was just getting interested in gardening at that point)and the cleome must have been disturbed because it has not come back well ever since. I would like to get it re-established but after doing some research, I am confused about the timing and specifics of direct sowing this specific seed. If I direct sow in the fall, won't the seedlings come up and be destroyed by frost before they can produce seed for re-seeding (hence, no plants in 2010)? And if I direct sow early next spring, I have a bed full of emerging poppy foliage in the way. I know this can work becasue somehow the previous owners of this house did so. Any ideas? Thank you

Comments (6)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    14 years ago

I also had cleome in my previous Zone 6 garden. I planted it once and it appeared for many years thereafter without effort on my part.

Based upon both of our experiences in enjoying this self-seeder, I would suggest that you sprinkle the cleome seeds among the emerging poppy foliage in the early spring. According to the seed germination database attached, cleome seed wants light to germinate, so you don't need to cover it with soil. Thus, you don't need to disturb the emerging poppies in order to "plant" the cleome seeds. Let the spring rains wash the cleome seeds into the nooks and cranies of your garden soil and I think Mother Nature will trigger the cleome to sprout when the temperature is "just right".

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Germination Database

• v1rt
    14 years ago

It's my first time to grow cleomes. The method that worked for me well is with the use of peat moss. Here are the steps that I did mid to late May this year.

1. loosened the top 1/2" part of the soil
    2. direct sowed cleome seeds about 6" apart
    3. pressed the seeds against the soil lightly
    4. covered the seeds with 1/4 of peat moss
    5. Watered it lightly every 8 or 9am, then 2pm, then around 6pm. I didn't do deep watering. I just made sure they are moistened. I did this step for 10 days then I ignored them after that. I let nature do the rest.

The other method that I tried which only produced like 3 cleome plants is when I sprinkled them over the soil and not covering them. I also watered them similar to how I mentioned it above.

• beckybloom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both so much for your helpful ideas. I really appreciate it. Still thinking about when to do this. Spring sounds like the best time, maybe late April? I did notice a couple stray cleomes coming up in the area and hopefully they will reseed nicely for me to help me out.

• Donna
    14 years ago

Just a thought. When trying to get seed to "naturalize" as you are attempting with the cleome, be sure to sow lots and lots of seed. This is what nature does. Plants make a prodigious lot of seed, but only a small proportion of them come up. Whether you sprinkle and water, or whether you lightly cover and water, use plenty. (like 5 or 10 or more for every one plant you hope to have) Thereafter, Nature should take care of it for you.

• azure_lily
    9 years ago

Sorry to dig up this post from 5 years ago, but I found this by google. I'm trying to plan a flower bed in front of my deck. I would really love to have poppy in early spring and cleome for summer.

Just want to ask you, is your poppy Papaver poppy or California Poppy?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    9 years ago

Cleomes need a cold/warm cycle to germinate, so plant now.