Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samslabchow

Deadheading Petunias

samslabchow
16 years ago

Is there anything beneficial about deadheading a petunia bud that's alreading formed a seed pod? I know several people have said there's no need to deadhead petunias. I do have the time, so I don't mind. I also see the benefits of doing it, verses not doing it.

Sheryl

Comments (10)

• tanoota

I bought a flat of pink wave and a flat of white wave petunias this year. I also have a nursery grown hanging basket of the purple and white double wave petunias.
    The double wave petunias are the only ones that do not generate seed pods, but I do deadhead, anyway, as the dead flowers are so unsightly.

All of my pink and white waves DEFINITELY make HUGE big and fat seed pods. I must deadhead, I am assuming, because there would be so much energy going towards the seed pods.

What the heck??? I should NOT have to deadhead with waves. Since I have so many, this takes hours a day.

I'm sure these are waves, because they mound and drape so very beautifully, while my regular petunias look just like regular petunias....no gentle cascading and mounding.

Any clues on why my wave petunias are generating so many seed pods?

• tanoota

I bought a flat of pink wave and a flat of white wave petunias this year. I also have a nursery grown hanging basket of the purple and white double wave petunias.
    The double wave petunias are the only ones that do not generate seed pods, but I do deadhead, anyway, as the dead flowers are so unsightly.

All of my pink and white waves DEFINITELY make HUGE big and fat seed pods. I must deadhead, I am assuming, because there would be so much energy going towards the seed pods.

What the heck??? I should NOT have to deadhead with waves. Since I have so many, this takes hours a day.

I'm sure these are waves, because they mound and drape so very beautifully, while my regular petunias look just like regular petunias....no gentle cascading and mounding.

• tanoota

• tanoota

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I have the time, too. And I dead head so the energy goes to helping the petunia stay bushy and full and producing more blooms as opposed to using all the energy to produce seed and getting leggy in the process.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I only have a couple of regular petunias and I still deadhead even if the pod has formed. Like duluthinbloom mentioned, I think it's better to get rid of the seed pods. But, with the different Wave series of petunias, I don't bother. They generally don't form seed pods until the days get shorter. I do trim their stems every so often and they get fuller that way. With the Waves, it's nice to have flowers that I don't have to deadhead. It gives me time to deadhead the ones that really need it.

Kat

• lindac
    16 years ago

The aim of an annual plant is to put out a lot of flowers, lure the bees to pollinate and set seeds and then it doesn't need to bloom any more and it just sits there until it dies.
    By cutting off any seed pods, you make the plant "think"...Oh my!! I have no seeds yet, I better put out more blooms and lure some more bees.
    Some annuals have been bred to be sterile or not set seeds, but almost all annual flowers bloom more, better and longer if you remove the seed pods.
    Linda C

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

I am in the "not a deadheader" camp.

I'm a "plant 'em and leave 'em" person. I don't deadhead, and they still bloom beautifully. Towards the middle/end of July when they start getting leggy, I do cut them back, and they continue blooming. The one cut-back in July takes all of 5-10 minutes, if even that, that I can deal with, no way am I going to be bothered deading petunias every few days - life's too short for that nonsense IMO.

• jenn729
    16 years ago

I know I am a newbie, but I thought I would share my experience this year with Petunias. I do deadhead them every other day or so, it only takes a minute because there is really only a few per plant. I can't believe the difference in one month.
    Petunia May 28
    {{gwi:14754}}
    Petunias July 1
    {{gwi:14757}}
    {{gwi:14758}}

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words! Nice color blue; think I'll change my color scheme next season.