Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to plant with hydrangeas and hibiscus?

Posted by pieheart z6 nwnj (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 20:06

I have a bed with hydrangeas, a perennial hibiscus, some verbena, and annual vinca. In a separate thread I asked why the vinca had yellow leaves. It seems that they are bad companions for the other plants, vinca needing a dryer environment.

So I am going to move the vinca to an area that would be better for it, and need to get something to replace them.

Any ideas? Annuals preferred, something showy and colorful that can take the frequent watering I'll be giving the other plants. Part sun. I'm not used to thinking of "non-drought tolerant plants" as being a good thing---usually I pick plants because they can handle being dry, so I'm drawing a blank here.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to plant with hydrangeas and hibiscus?

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 14:07

Seems to me the hydrangea and the hibiscus are poor companions. Hibiscus can't get enough sun and hydranges likes part shade.
Is there enough sun for petunias?
Or perhaps angelonia?
Linda C

o

I agree with you about where I planted the hibiscus. It's being nurseried until we develop a bed later this year which will be full sun. I needed to put it somewhere, so we compromised! if it doesn't flower this year that's okay, as long as it survives otherwise. Come spring we'll transplant it in its new sunny home.

Petunias are a good idea. I have a lot of them, but they are so cheerful and colorful. Angelonia aren't easy to find around here this late in the year, they seem to sell out quickly.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 07 at 15:49

* Petunias (question whether there's enough sun, though - ? )

* Ageratum

* Geraniums

* Heliotrope

* New Guniea impatiens

* Browallia

* Impatiens

Geraniums and heliotrope and New Guinea do quite nicely in part-shade and you only need a few plants to make an impact.

The browallia and regular impatiens are "bedders" so you'll need more of them to fill in, but both are great choices for part-shade.

Ageratum and petunia would probably prefer more sun, so I'd try those only if you can't find nice shade plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here