Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower new growth?

Posted by LauraDubbs none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 22:49

Hi! I am brand new to forum, just joined because I thought someone might be able to help. Does anyone know what is going on with my sunflower? I rescued a seedling from a friend, and grew it in a small pot in my windowsill in my apartment. I had super good luck and it turned into a beautiful mini sunflower! It has recently started to wilt, which I realize is part of its life cycle. But the other day I noticed these little buds in the crevices of the stems. Is this possibly new flower buds? Thanks for anyone's help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower new growth?

Some cultivars are branching types. If you feed it a little bit, you could encourage those buds to grow into nice new flowers. If you want new ones, cutting off the spent central flower head would help as well.

And you really grew this plant indoors? that`s quite amazing, I thought they would require more light.

O, and feeding, in a pot means liquid mineral fertilizer, whatever you can lay your hands on.

o
RE: sunflower new growth?

It has recently started to wilt, which I realize is part of its life cycle.

==>>> not that i am aware of ..

the flower head may have turned down .. but that isnt wilt .. it sunflower normal ...

also ... did you know... they follow the sun ... i dont recall the term ... but on a weekend.. observe it during the day ... and you should see such.. though that may be complicated by the indoor thing ...

based on the pic above.. i say new flower buds.. and there is nothing wrong with your plant... dont go loving it to death.. because you think its wilting... and with its lush growth.. i dont even think it needs any fert.. other than what you are already doing.. somewhat to perfection ... [except for indoors ...]

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here