Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eatting my sunflower's leaves?

Posted by anniexue 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 0:05

I planted several sunflower seeds in the beginning of July, and now they are almost 5 inches tall. Today, I found that the leaves of several Aztec Gold Hybrid are eaten completely. I also planted some vanilla ice, jade hybrid, and autumn beauty mix. So far there is no problem of them at all. My question is, what eat my sunflowers? And what can I do to prevent this happen again? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eatting my sunflower's leaves?

We need to know more in order to help. "the leaves of several Aztec Gold Hybrid are eaten completely" doesn't really help much.

o

Do you have deer? They love sunflowers.

o

I believe slugs are eating your sunflowers. I planted a bunch of 4" tall sunflowers in the garden a month ago. Next day some had the leaves totally gone. Some just had holes in the leaves. The slugs totally killed a lot of my annuals this year. I know it's slugs because I see them on the plant early in the morning or late in the evening. This is a new problem for me. Usually it is dry enough not to have this problem. This year it's been very wet which is why the slugs are thriving. I don't have a cure yet. Just been picking them off and killing them.Search the internet for slug control.

o

Although I can't help id the consumer, I noticed something in my own garden...

I planted dahlias in my front and back yard. In the back bed, there are also many sunflowers. All of the flowers near the sunflowers look fabulous!! The dahlias in the front were getting eaten to nothing each night and the dahlias in the back, near the sunflowers, are tall and in bloom. I also noticed that the sunflowers are covered in lady bugs. I bought lady bugs and released them in the front. I wish I could find sunflower plants but am unable...Anyway, in a very short time, the front dahlias are now finally growing!!

I am loving the lady bugs!!

These sunflowers are very tall - maybe 9'. I planted tiny sunflowers in the back yard, not too far from the tall ones, and they got eaten the first night. In my case, I think it was rabbits. There was NOTHING left of the seedlings.

I will forever buy lady bugs and mantis every spring, if they don't show up naturally.

o

You are more than welcome to any praying mantid I find, lol! They eat way too many beneficial insects for me to allow them in my gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here