Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to sow annual poppies and sweet peas

Posted by trinquette 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 7:39

I've had great luck sowing larkspur in the fall. The tiny seedlings winter over, and are robust and early blooming the following spring. Can anyone tell me if I would have the same success with annual poppy seeds and sweet pea seeds? I either forget in the winter, or the snow banks (for poppy seeds) don't cooperate. Thanks, Louise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to sow annual poppies and sweet peas

my annual poppies are just peaking bloom ...

which means mine.. will self sow within the next few weeks ...

except for forgetting where you put them.. i dont know why you would need any better time...

and if the seed winters over for me.. in z5 mi... i dont know why they wouldnt in z6 ...

when i doubt.. be the plant.. ooohhhmmmmm

ken

o

I agree with Ken, in principle. However, the longer the seeds sit out on the ground, the more chance they have of being eaten or washed away or forgotten and mulched over and dug into. I'd try to wait until at least late fall. Though, if you have plenty of seed, planting them now might allow some to germinate immediately and put down enough roots to have a head start next spring. I'm not being very helpful, am I? There's probably no absolutely correct answer.

Martha

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:38

I plan on planting such plants that could overwinter as rosettes, about first of September if we're getting rains. I'll delay if not, just because of the birds and critters, since nothing will sprout without moisture.

o

Poppies can be Autumn sown, no problem. But the Sweet Peas I would sow in the winter (time depends on your climate) under shelter - a cold greenhouse, coldframe or a bright windowsill in a cool room is sufficient. I grow them in TP roll centres to accommodate the long root. Then plant out in Spring after frost. They are pretty hardy but will not survive winter outdoors, at least they don't in my climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Peas from seed

o

If you remember in winter that you forgot to sow the poppy seeds toss them on the snow! I haven't sowed poppy seeds in one of my beds for two years and still have poppies coming up. I don't want them there and pick them like weeds. So everyone here is right and sow them whenever you want.

I never direct seed sweet peas so can't help there.

SCG

o

Thanks everyone for the words of experience. I'll sow the larkspur and poppies in the fall, and continue to start my sweet peas in the winter, using the tp rolls - great idea and a good way to recycle.

I'll let you all know what happens!

Louise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here