Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunpatiens is the bomb

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:50

Of course we will need to do without Impatiens walleriana for the forseeable future.

Last year I planted just a few white "Sunpatiens" in place of walleriana...just as an experiment. The location would be considered shade aspect...say direct morning from only before 10 am. They did just fine.

This year I have some of the pink and again they are doing wonderfully in much less than full sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunpatiens is the bomb

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 6:38

Love the color combo!

I was thrilled that individual colors of New Guinea impatiens came out a few years ago - now I can grow a lot of them, the cost is no longer prohibitive.

I grew regular impatiens from seed this year, as I always do, and so far no problems with disease.

o

Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 6:39

Love the color combo!

I was thrilled that individual colors of New Guinea impatiens came out a few years ago - now I can grow a lot of them, the cost is no longer prohibitive.

I grew regular impatiens from seed this year, as I always do, and so far no problems with disease.

o

Rouge, thanks for bringing this up! I've been really happy with my Sunpatiens...I used coral and bright orange in containers on my back patio. That location only sees full sun in the early morning.

mxk3, I love New Guinea impatiens, too. Some of those hot colors are great...those are the ones I tend to be attracted to lately.

o

question,

how do you keep weeds and grass from growing up around/inside/through your flowers?

o

Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 13:16

I thought Sunpatiens are New Guinea impatiens - ?

o

'mxk3', I have had no luck with NGuinea Impatiens. Sunpatiens are for me much superior. And now I am using them in all the same places I had used walleriana.

Here is a link that might be useful: All about SP

o

Sunpatiens are a hybrid ; the parentage is Impatiens walleriana (the problem species) and I. hawkerii (new guinea). The resulting hybrids have proved to be highly resistant to Impatiens downy mildew, they can tolerate heat and sun to a much greater extent than I. walleriana.

Hybrids can only be vegetatively propagated so they are only available as plants. Since they are under patent protection, propagation can only legally be done with a license agreement. Makes it pricey for us to have big beds of them. :-(

I like NG impatiens, but it cannot tolerate conditions that are too moist or if the soil is slow to drain. I grow mine in pretty much full sun.

o

Desirai, I don't know about anyone else, but weeds in my garden areas are pulled by hand or chopped with a hoe. There are some exceptions to that, but not many.

'Garden ' is a verb as well as a noun. It takes some time several times a week.

o

Rouge, how tall are your plants?

Looks like I will have to buy these next year if I decide I have to have impatiens. I have a large mixed pot by our back door and saw a light orange with darker eye dwarf 4 pack at the nursery that I just had to have this year, even though I know better. This particular variety and color were the only walleriana this nursery was selling-gee I wonder why. I went out today and noticed that the plants look awful. I felt the soil and they don't need water. I picked a leaf and looked at the underside - you guess it, downy mildew. I had coleus there last year and managed to not get dm on the impatiens I had planted there the year before that. Thought I'd take a chance. Anyway, no more of the dwarf walleriana here.

Linda

o

Linda, to the highest point in the middle of each plant it is 14".

o

That's a nice height - not too short or too tall.

Do you know if you have the Compact Series or are they the Spreading Series?

Hate to ask all these questions, but these are new to me and I've not seen them when I've been shopping as yet.

o

I don't know Linda...sorry.

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:56

They look the same as New Guinea impatiens to me from the picture. I don't recall seeing these IRL, though, so maybe there is more of a differentiation that would be obvious if seen in person.

Still, seems like would be cost prohibitive. I'll stick with my seed-grown New Guinea. I am still THRILLED that the individual colors are now available from seed - probably THE BEST thing to come along in a long while. (at least as far as I'm concerned)

o

I agree with mxk3. SPs are way too expensive for any sort of mass planting. They were still around $9 at HD the other day! I too grow NG from seed and they performed wonderfully in varying degrees of light.

o

I so don't have a green thumb with NG Impatiens. They seem to fry in the sun for me and don't do well in shade. But this hasn't been the case for my "Sunpatiens" i.e. doing well in the different light aspects I have tried.

o

Have you seen the variegated version of SP?

Not the best picture but it is thriving as a single plant in this one plant hanging basket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here