Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Lantana from seed blooming -- Miss Huff?

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

I got seeds labled lantana 'Miss Huff' in a seed trade and started them in February. Six of my seven seedlings are blooming. The first ones started around the first of July. After I started them, I read that Lantana doesn't usually bloom the first year if started from seed, so I was pretty excited to get to see some flowers.

All six plants look exactly the same in color and form. The flowers are a mix of pink and yellow.

I'm wondering if you think they really are Miss Huff seedlings.

Miss Huff is supposedly hardier than other lantanas so I want to try putting a bunch of straw around them this winter and see if they return in the spring. I know it's not likely unless we have an unusually warm winter like last year but thought it would be worth a try.

I'm in zone 6 but able to grow some zone 7 plants here because it doesn't stay cold very long when our temps do bottom out.

Has anyone ever gotten seedlings from Miss Huff to compare? I think it's supposed to be a sterile variety so that makes me wonder if it's a hybrid of some sort. Maybe it does produce a few seeds ???

{{gwi:17641}}

{{gwi:17642}}

{{gwi:17643}}

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Not Miss Huff, which does not produce viable seeds. Nor is the color right for that cultivar. It looks more like Confetti to me, but is likely just a mix of varieties. Look up "Confetti " to compare.

Lantana absolutely flowers the first year after planting.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

as a general rule.. for what its worth ...

many species come true from seed.. its part of the definition of a species ...

generally.. anything with the name in quotes.. such as Lantana camara 'Miss Huff' .. is not going to come true from seed ... because a specific mother and father were necessary .. to create that child ... its just not a bee thing ...

obviously it is much more complicated than all that.. but simplifying it helps wrap your mind around the concept ...

a quick review of the link ... shows that MHuff is Propagated vegetatively ...

regardless ... though you did not get what was claimed in the trade .. it was worth the price ... free!!! .. and you succeeded wildly ... and who cares if its not MH ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

Ken. It matters to Christie that her Lantana seedlings are NOT Miss Huff. Why? Read her post, only carefully this time.

Miss Huff is very well known to be quite cold hardy, overwintering successfully in zone 7 and 'maybe' into the 6s with some protection. Christie wants to try to overwinter her lantana...in the ground.

There are other cold hardy cultivars, but Miss Huff is the most commonly available.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sometimes plants that are advertised as "sterile" DO produce a few seeds so I was wondering if that was the case with Miss Huff.

I know cultivars normally don't come true from seed that's why it surprised me that these are all exactly the same. I expected a little variation in color.

Ideally I need to start with a good sized potted plant in the spring so it would have time to get established before winter but it's not sold locally. I would have to order it but I don't like to spend a lot of money on plants that will probably die. I don't mind risking it if they're cheap.

The trader I got them from lives in zone 7 so I assume they were hardy for her.

I'll try to remember to report back if they happen to make it through the winter. Not holding my breath.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Christie, I'm in a different zone from you, but have quite a few lantana that return. It seems to take forever for them to push up new growth in the spring - way behind almost everything else. Hopefully a protective layer of mulch or leaves will help. My 'hardies' look much like yours. Miss Huff has stronger coloration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image of Miss Huff

11 years ago

Christie, sometimes those hybridized plants do produce seeds, but those seeds are not likely to be viable....meaning that the seeds will be missing some of the genetic information needed to create another plant. Sterile hybrids are quite common.

It's more common, though, for hybridized plants to produce seeds that will not reproduce offspring which are identical to the parent plant. So, either way......those Miss Huff seeds were not capable of producing Miss Huff plants. Not all lantana are hybrids, which explains the satisfactory reproduction of some varieties.

Lantana is sold in a variety of sizes usually, anything from 4 inch to gallon containers. I'm happy to buy mine in a small size since they grow so darned fast. I never plan on them overwintering in my zone 7a-b location and if I weren't so lazy, I'd take several cuttings in the summer to grow during the winter. Lantana roots extremely readily if cuttings are inserted into damp, well-drained potting medium.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if Lantana seed stores well? Mine make tremendous numbers of seeds every year, since I'm lax in deadheading, and the ones that drop into the soil germinate and grow well.

I would like to be able to gather, dry, and store for planting in the following spring. I just don't have the space to winter additional live plants. This would be much more convenient, as they flower very quickly from seed.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My seeds were two years old Denninmi so they must at least keep that long. I may have soaked or nicked them before planting. If I remember right, I planted 9 seeds and they all came up but a couple died.

If I don't get busy and forget, I'll mulch at least some of mine and see if they make it through the winter. Nothing to lose.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Those are really great pictures! You have a nice lantana even if it isn't the one you were looking for. It's better, deeper colors than the type that's naturalized all over this part of Texas. The one I see the most here has a very pale, pastel flower, same colors as yours.

Rosie, you're in the range for lantana, so they will survive where you are. I'm in Houston and see them quite a bit north and west of here, in zone 8 for sure.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Great, thanks, I have a bumper crop of seed, with the berries now turning dark indicating ripeness. I'll harvest, dry, and store for next year.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

There's no way you can keep the plant over winter? In a pot maybe? They'll get very large (2' x 3' or so) if you can, and are spectacular. Let the seeds get shiny blue black before harvesting.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

denn, you might want to experiment with letting some seed either fall to the ground or toss some where you'd like to see the plant return.