Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self seeding and compost mulch

Posted by tjanetb z8 BC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 12:13

Having really crummy soil, I plan to cover the gardens with compost mulch in the spring (and probably every spring for a decade or more!). But what about all my hopefully prolific self seeding annuals? Will they find their way up through the compost layer? OF course I hope weeds will NOT, so what hope do I have for much less aggressive Sweet Williams and snaps and larkspur?

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self seeding and compost mulch

you need a plan ...

most weed seeds.. and the ones you actually want.. need sunlight .. or to be basically on the surface to sprout in spring ....

as you suspect... bury them .. and they wont return ...

but i think timing is your problem... why are you waiting until spring ....

go buy a pack of paper lunch bags and a sharpie pen ...

and when the seeds mature... put them in the bag.. and label it .... and stick them in the garage .... leave the top open so they can dry ....

in fall as the annuals go down for fall/winter... remove plants .. add compost.. the sprinkle the seeds on top .. and mark the area so you will hopefully remember that you put them there ...

in the alternative... cut the maturing plants... and lay the whole plant in a bed you wont work on.. and leave the whole thing there until spring.. and when you move it in spring.. all the babes will be under it ... and you can move them to the newly composted beds...

many solutions ... if you just think out the whole process ...

ken

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 18:28

If youa re using compost mulch, they l8ikely will manage to set seeds in that. And if you are doing it in the spring, your reseeders should be showing by then, and you leave off the mulch until they are big enough to move or pulch around.
At least that's the way it works for me with the larkspur and the feverfew and the echinacea.
Linda c

o

Thanks Linda and Ken. All three suggestions are good and implementable.

Linda, I don't think you have to baby the feverfew-- I've been trying to get rid of it for years, and even when I moved out of my townhouse where I container gardened (and had planted ONE ff in a rose container, then tried to eradicate it for years from every other...), and replanted all the container plants, the feverfew found its way to the most remote areas of every garden.

J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here