Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container soils

Posted by patann Z5 Mich (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 12:27

When you change out your container/potting soil for fresher soil, can you toss the old soil in a compost or other pile to use again in a couple of years? (Posting this in Container Gardening forum also.)
Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container soils

In my large pots I never change the soil completely. I shovel it out of the container into the wheelbarrow and mix it with compost so it is approximately 1/3 compost and 2/3 old soil. Then I shovel it back in. I use What I have left to either spread on a flower bed or the garden or fill smaller pots. It works great for me and I always have lush growth in my planters.

I have never seen the need to completely change the soil. You don't do that in flower beds. You simply spread compost on top and dig it in.

If you don't have too much you can add it to the compost or if you have a flower bed or spot in the garden where the soil is not that great you can spread it there

o

It can be used again... but in the garden, not a container. You want to avoid any material so broken down that it's composed of nothing but the tiniest of particles. That's a recipe for disaster when it comes to container culture.

Tossing it into the compost pile doesn't recharge a worn out potting mix....it decomposes it. My used medium is broadcast directly into the garden or as a mulch over my trees.

o

Ditto Rhizo, pretty much what I do and was going to say. Putting it in the compost would make the compost too HEAVY (for carrying, and for weighing everything down and squashing out the necessary air) even if there was some benefit to putting it there.

o

Got it. Thank you, thank you.

o

Tossing it into the compost pile doesn't recharge a worn out potting mix

==>> hi pat

thinking the other way.. it might charge your compost....

i used to just toss it anywhere in the beds ...

ken

o

hi ken. rainey kisses to the hostas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here