Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maymester

Where to buy annuals this late in season?

maymester
11 years ago

After loosing all of my impatiens to Downy Mildew my yard looks bare. I scoured a few nurseries looking for even begonias or coleus to replace them but they are all out. Any ideas of what to do and where to get it?

Comments (16)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Most of the garden centers in my area (Detroit) still have good supplies of things, and many have them marked down.

This morning, I went to our farmer's market and hauled back a big load to fix up containers that got smashed when a big tree limb fell on them last weekend in a storm.

For $50 even, I got 7 flats, 16 6" pots, and 5 4" pots. Begonias, coleus, vinca, blue salvia, dusty miller, celosia in the flats, and dwarf cannas, new guinea impatiens, dwarf papyrus, ornamental peppers in the 6", and basil and white cuphea (Mexican Heather) in the 4".

So, I was pretty happy to get all of that for $50.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

perhaps that means.. mail order outside z9

and yes.. peeps do mail order annuals ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You may just have to wait until September when the garden centers will begin to fill up again. Remember...no more impatiens. Of course, we don't know if you're a southern zone 9 or PNW zone .

I'd have to do without before ordering annuals over the internet. :-)

11 years ago

You may just have to wait until September when the garden centers will begin to fill up again. Remember...no more impatiens. Of course, we don't know if you're a southern zone 9 or PNW zone .

I'd have to do without before ordering annuals over the internet. :-)

• maymester
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's hot and sticky coastal south zone 9. My yard is shady and now blah looking. Do you think I could plant seeds of some annuals? I sure miss my impatiens. Hope horticulturists come up with a disease free species in the near future.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

I'm going to buy my impatiens seeds from Jung Seed next year just to boycott the current impatiens problem. Or maybe I won't buy any for a few years, just as rhizo rec'd. Decisions, decisions.
    Pat

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

So impatiens are prone to soem new problem? I had not heard about this. I have half a flat I bought to fill in here and there.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

I just read that long thread on downy mildew, so no one needs to tell me. Now I know! :(

11 years ago

patann, I want you to listen to me now (tapping my toe and wagging my finger)....don't plant Impatiens PERIOD, unless you want to experiment with a very few plants in a location that won't matter when they turn into mush.

Even your own seed grown plants are susceptible. Though, if DM hasn't been introduced into your location, self seed grown plants would probably be the way to go.

I'm thinking that as time goes by, the plant breeders and geneticists will be able to isolate and propagate some resistant Impatiens walleriana. Those plants are probably already out there in somebody's garden, just waiting for someone to say, " Look, all my Impatiens croaked just like Dorie said....except THAT one!" ;-)

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

zhizo, got it. I will not plant impatiens again until you say you did. Just don't wait too long. I'm really old.
    Pat

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

"zhizo?"

11 years ago

Lolol...was that a senior moment, patann? And remember....'old gardeners never die, they just go to seed.'

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

zone 9, hot and sticky shade sounds like a good spot for caladiums. maybe you could still find a decent online source?

11 years ago

It's too late in a deep southern zone 9 for Caladiums.

• maymester
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fortunately I did plant caladiums earlier this season in a portion of my yard. They are thriving and beautiful. At least that section looks great! I am still sad about my impatiens though.

• Donna
    11 years ago

Impatiens are, as said above, not much good in the Deep South. I have found that Torenias make very nice substitutes. They bloom prolifically all season from spring to frost and are tough. I especially like the trailing ones sold by Proven Winners, but the Clown Series is nice too. And then there are Coleus. I know they're common, but for good reason. I started Rustic Red this year from seed (simple) and planted it in large drifts in my shade border. What an eye catcher!