Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Million bells basket looks tired

Posted by ritug 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 13:16

I have three million bells (Small petunia) baskets hanging in my front yard. One of them 0 red one looks really gangly. The canes are light green and dont look big and bushy as they were a few days ago. That part gets quite windy and I am wondering if it is the wind that is making it look like that.

Should I prune it? I water it daily and also fertilise weekly. ANyhelp will be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Million bells basket looks tired

What do you fertilize it with?
More harm is done to plants by over fertilizing than by not fertilizing at all. But, it doesn't sound like an over fertilizing problem...but more of under watering. In the wind and hot sun, it probably needs to bew atered twice a day. The bigger a plant grows the more water it uses and the more you need to give it.
Inless you are using very very dilute stuff, lay off the fert and water more...or take it out of the hot windy place at mid day...but that's a pain!
Linda C

o

I fertilise with Miracle Grow every week and water once a day. Maybe I will water it more and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

o

I have to wonder if it might be the opposite problem--overwatering. This can kill a plant very quickly, with symptoms very similar to underwatering. Calibrachoa does best in a well-drained soil and is moderately drought-tolerant; it's probably best to let the soil dry out slightly between waterings. Unless the pots are drying out every day (especially in zone 5, and this early in the season), there is no need to water that frequently.

o

How can I prune the Million Bells so they will get a fresh start as my beautiful basket now look so sparse and so many dry leaves..I did water and fertilize with Miracle Grow every two week...1 tblsp to 1 gallon of water. Plus did water daily...as the soil was dry.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 18:03

Dry leaves mean the plant is burned.....either from not enough water or too much fertilizer.
Water more and cut out the fert for a month and then resume at about 1/4 strength.
Linda C

o

I had the same experience a couple years back with MB. They got gangly, and I repotted, but they never recovered. I'm sure it was a 'user-error' but I have since found there are a gagillion other plants (PETUNIAS!) that I can successfully grow & flourish in my Z5 yard.

o

Another problem that can occur is too much success. That is, the plant outgrows the container it came in from the store and needs to be potted up a size (or two).

Mine are still going strong but are requiring religious watering by now, twice a day if it is over 90. I do fertilize every day, once a day, with 1/4 teaspoon Miracle Gro or other liquid fertilizer to a gallon of water. This has worked for me for many years for heavy and continuous flower production.

o

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I do deeply appreciate your advice but it looks like my plant is going from truly beautiful to truly ugly and I have tried it all..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here