Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name this annual

Posted by lucyw_5 z5OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:21

I need to find the name of this annual,
I have gotten it for a few years, tiny blue flowers, fuzzy soft foliage, does not like water on the foliage.

does excellant in my gazebo with no sun.
Thank you,!
Lucy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name this annual

lobelia?

o

flowers = dime-sized? clear sky-blue color? might be evolvulus. this annual is not always easy to find in a local nursery here in New England, so last winter I took a chance and potted 3 of them into a large (18") pot and overwintered them indoors in my dining room, under lights. the pot is enormous now, happily blooming on the deck. I think I will drag it inside again this fall and see if I can keep it going! (might have to re-pot with new soil, tho) lovely plant for that oh-so-rare true-blue color...

o

sorry, it is neither of these.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:22

Post a photo...if you have it.

o

Now that you see the picture, I am sure you will be able to name it!

o

Streptocarpella

o

It is actually a perennial and makes a good houseplant. So there's no need to buy them repeatedly.

o

It is an annual here in Ohio. We are zone 5.
I was just 2 weeks in London and Paris! Wonderful trip and great people in England.

o

Thank you for naming my plant!

o

lucyw - this plant is botanically speaking not an annual, no matter where it is growing. It is a perennial which is killed by frost. True annuals are plants which grow from seed, flower, set seed and die within one year. Streptocarpella is a perennial by nature and if brought into an environment for the winter where it doesn't freeze it will live for years, even in Ohio ;-)

It is almost exclusively known a house plant here.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 11:19

Yes, streptocarpella. Grown as an annual or houseplant up here. I have mine growing in pots, this year I have it in a whiskey barrel with Persian shield as the centerpiece, it makes a nice little edger spilling out of the pot. Lovely color blooms which really complement the Persian shield. Have grown it on it's own in small pots, too. Does well in shade or part shade up here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here