Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucyw_5

name this annual

lucyw_5
9 years ago

I need to find the name of this annual,
I have gotten it for a few years, tiny blue flowers, fuzzy soft foliage, does not like water on the foliage.

does excellant in my gazebo with no sun.
Thank you,!
Lucy

Comments (12)

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

lobelia?

• roxanna
    9 years ago

flowers = dime-sized? clear sky-blue color? might be evolvulus. this annual is not always easy to find in a local nursery here in New England, so last winter I took a chance and potted 3 of them into a large (18") pot and overwintered them indoors in my dining room, under lights. the pot is enormous now, happily blooming on the deck. I think I will drag it inside again this fall and see if I can keep it going! (might have to re-pot with new soil, tho) lovely plant for that oh-so-rare true-blue color...

• lucyw_5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry, it is neither of these.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Post a photo...if you have it.

• lucyw_5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now that you see the picture, I am sure you will be able to name it!

• goblugal
    9 years ago

Streptocarpella

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It is actually a perennial and makes a good houseplant. So there's no need to buy them repeatedly.

• lucyw_5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is an annual here in Ohio. We are zone 5.
    I was just 2 weeks in London and Paris! Wonderful trip and great people in England.

• lucyw_5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for naming my plant!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

lucyw - this plant is botanically speaking not an annual, no matter where it is growing. It is a perennial which is killed by frost. True annuals are plants which grow from seed, flower, set seed and die within one year. Streptocarpella is a perennial by nature and if brought into an environment for the winter where it doesn't freeze it will live for years, even in Ohio ;-)

It is almost exclusively known a house plant here.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Yes, streptocarpella. Grown as an annual or houseplant up here. I have mine growing in pots, this year I have it in a whiskey barrel with Persian shield as the centerpiece, it makes a nice little edger spilling out of the pot. Lovely color blooms which really complement the Persian shield. Have grown it on it's own in small pots, too. Does well in shade or part shade up here.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Yes, they can survive in a basement in OH under fluorescent shop lights. This plant did that in the winter of 02/03. I'm amazed you find it every year. When I lived in OH, I would visit garden centers because of my job and didn't see them every year. (Some of the other plants didn't survive, ignore the background.)