Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I root Sweet Potato 'Blackie' in water?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 15:24

I just bought one and now think I'd like a few more. If I put a piece of stem from the Sweet Potato Vine 'Blackie' in water, will it root easily?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I root Sweet Potato 'Blackie' in water?

see link.. a few down the list.. one of them speaks of a video ..

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Yes, it will root easily in water but why not root cuttings in a good potting medium in the first place? They will root easily that way, too, and your plant will avoid the transition from water borne to normal soil roots.

o

Thanks for the link Ken, I found an article that seems pretty encouraging, I'm going to give it a try.

Rhizo, I have propagated in the past, using a sweater box with a mix of sand and compost with success. I don't like using a pot with a baggie over it. I realize that there is that transition from the water to the soil, but I'm not really getting around the garden easily these days and a glass on the kitchen counter is a lot easier. :-) I've read that if you make the switch to soil, when the roots are only about an inch long, you might have better luck.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Can I root Sweet Potato 'Blackie' in water?

o

Enjoy your new plants! It's fun to make more plants no matter how you do it.

I don't put a baggie over cuttings like that, either. I simply put three stem cuttings in a small clay pot filled with a very, very porous medium...anything with compost probably wouldn't qualify. I've used all perlite, good potting mix plus perlite, or my brand of potting medium (which is largely pine bark fines, plus peat and perlite) .

When the three cuttings take root and begin to grow, I treat them as one plant with three stems. Makes for a much fuller plant. I've never used anything special when rooting easy plants.

It's the woody plants that get the extra care.

o

Thanks Rhizo, I have plenty of perlite, I'm out of pine bark fines. I may try it both ways. :-)

o

You can stick cuttings in your pots that get daily water and within a very short time, they will be growing vigorously. I do this every year. I just stick them where I want them to grow.

o

I keep them over the winter by rooting cuttings in soil. By the end of winter they look pretty sad (if they haven't already died from aphids) but come right back once put in the ground in the spring.

I especially love them as dark-leaved ground cover interspersed throughout the gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here