Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sparrows in my purslane basket?

Posted by crescent_moon 8 DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 15:40

I bought this huge,beautiful purslane hanging basket.It has
multicolor blooms and is very thick and lush.I have feeders
for the birds around my patio.The little sparrows seem to love this.6 or 8 of them at one time will come and hang onto the branches and the wind blows them around.I also
have a nice scaveola basket and they don't pay it any attention.So,I caught them chewing and yanking on some
portulaca I had in a pot;no wonder it got to looking so ragged!I googled purslane and got lots of sites explaining how to eat it.I am not about to eat something that was grown for outside use,but the sparrows don't seem to have a problem with it!I have seen them chewing on the leaves and some of the tiny blooms.Is this normal behavior for them?I have lost so much I had planted this spring on my patio.I live north of Dallas and it got really hot really fast this spring.I was hoping this basket would last well into the fall.Anyone ever have the birds eat your hanging baskets?!
Denah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sparrows in my purslane basket?

Hi there. I wonder if the birds are just thirsty. Can you put out some water for them? Maureen

o

Critters will eat succulent plants in the absence of water. I went away for 2 weeks during august. I had someone water my plants but they forgot to fill the bird baths and the squirrels just tore my Christmas Cactus to shreads. I have known another case where they chewed to pieces soaker hoses belonging to people who didn't provide water.
Feed adn water the critters and they will not need to chew your plants to get moisture.
Linda c

o

Well, duh!
I guess I managed to overlook the obvious!I do have a birdbath I can put out.We moved and I had left it in the garage and forgot all about it.I can even manage to put it in the shade.thanks for jogging what's left of my brain!
Denah

o

Denah, No worries. I've had many a duh moment. LOL

Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here