Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Celosia 'Dark Caracas'

ginny12
16 years ago

I just came back from the supermarket with three of these. They had just come in. A really stunning deep magenta celosia. It's late in the season for me to be buying any annuals but these were so attractive that I had to buy a few to try them out. They were in 4" pots. They are gorgeous with some deep purple wave petunias I have in another pot.

There's almost nothing on the internet about these so they must be very new. I love trying new plants. Has anyone tried these this summer and what do you think?

Comments (6)

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Time to move this down. They are doing well for me and if you like bright flowers, you might like this. Guess it is very new to the market.

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    16 years ago

I have some and they were gorgeous. Have you been able to collect seed from them at all?

• ginny12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am afraid I don't collect seeds anymore so don't know if it would be possible from these. They might not come true from seed. If you try, I hope you post your results.

• naomi_bible
    15 years ago

I just bought some of the Celosia Dark Caracas and have been searching the internet to determine how tall this gets and how wide. Does anyone have that information?

Thanks and God bless you
    naomi

• skat
    15 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this, but I saw the below on clay & limestone, which I thought might be useful. I have included the information below and have copied in the link. They had some lovely photos posted.

I bought a couple of Celosia Caracas a couple of years ago, but sadly they died. I love their flowers and saw lots of them on a recent trip to Turkey. The ones that I saw in Turkey were about plant pot size and were planted outside - probably because they have such lovely warm weather.

In the information below, it states that they can grow more than 6 feet.

I was wondering does anyone know how to take cuttings from them? Some seem to say seeds, but I think cuttings can be taken?

Many thanks.

From Clay & limestone :-

''Celosia 'Dark Caracas'

Celosia's origin is still being debated, I've read South American and Africa. Wherever they hail from, they are tender plants and the first frost will take them out! This plumed variety really resembles Joseph's Coat. I will collect seeds and let some reseed in place. It will be interesting to see if they come true. You can see how beautiful the leaf color is; this is a plant I hope to be able to keep in the garden for a long time. Celosia is a member of the Amaranthaceae Family.

Even fading

Dark Caracas is lovely and can attract visitors. Please note: The stalks are now over 6 feet tall! Imagine a large planting and what a presence that could make.''

Here is a link that might be useful: clay & limestone

• skat
    15 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this and just posted on the Celosia 'Dark Caracas'

I also saw the below on taking seeds which I thought might be useful - also taken from Clay & Limestone. Link was posted earlier and posted below again.

I am still interested in taking cuttings too, if anyone has any suggestions.

Many thanks!

From Clay & Limestone :-

""Hi Gail!

What a nice assortment you put together in this post! It's good to point out that not all interest in the fall garden is colorful (though you have a lot!), but that there are also other equally interesting plants coming into their own.

It looks like some of your 'Caracas' is close to putting on seeds ... just get up close and peer into those 'chambers' and see if you can find the shiny black seeds. I usually wait until frost kills them before I collect seeds (unless they're completely dried up), but in your climate I'm not sure when is best. But if you see the seeds in there, time to start collecting!

Looks like we both fell in love with 'Caracas' this year! Let's spread it around ""

Here is a link that might be useful: Clay & Limestone