Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rupertinco

Can I keep a marguerite daisy indoors?

RUPERTinCO
9 years ago

I have a pretty blue marguerite daisy I bought from the annual section of a garden center, put it in a terra cotta pot and it looks lovely. But now I like it so much I want to have it around next year! I also have no idea if I'd be able to find this variety again next year, since the garden centers can only sell what the local grower send, and it's not common one here. Does anyone know if I could over-winter this guy indoors and bring it back out next year? How would I do that, as well? Try to keep it growing or give it a dormancy period?

Comments (7)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Save seeds. Take cuttings in late summer/early fall and start new plants under a grow-light indoors.

Even here without frost, it's a short-lived plant, and best the first year.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is there a reason ... why it cant go in the ground???

here are your variables:

they are full sun plants... window light might not work ... you will spend about $100 on lights and electricity ...

terra cotta pots are a nightmare indoors... very hard to deal with.. add $5 to 10 more dollars for a new pot ...

potting media is very important indoors.. add 10 to 20 more dollars ...

in snow country.. forced air furnaces dont create or allow enough humidity for OUTDOOR plants .... so add another 10 or 15 $$$ for a tray .. some gravel.. to create humidity ..

plus other variable .. i think you get the point...

when it all boils down.. you are going to spend one to two hundred dollars.. for a plant you can buy next spring. for $3 ...

now.. all that said.. GO FOR IT ... i always want to enable some newbie in gardening ... but dont be surprised or POd if you fail ... no one ever learned something new.. w/o trying ...

i suggest you visit the container forum for info on growing plants in pots ... especially in regard to terra cotta indoors ... with a furnace ... the pot itself can wick water out of the media ... and though cactus can enjoy such.. on a heavy water plant.. it can be a problem .... balancing it all out ...

and then the houseplant forum.. for any wisdom they might offer as to dealing with perennials as houseplants ...

and GOOD LUCK!!!!

ken

ps: presuming apartment.. i would find a friend with a yard.. plant it in the garden in late sept or so ... and go get it back in april ... repot it.. and love it up .... that would be called 'healing it in' for winter .....

• Edie
    9 years ago

There are multiple plants called 'Marguerite daisy' and you'd get better advice if we know which one you have. A photo would help. The Latin name would tell us for certain.
    Is it possible your plant is Felicia amelloides? I found that name when I searched 'blue Marguerite daisy.' Do an image search for Felicia amelloides and see if the photo matches what you have. They are tender perennials sold as annuals. I've never grown them, but my quick online search told me they are only winter-hardy in USDA zones 9-11. Your username suggests you live in Colorado, USA. If that's the case, your zone could be anything from 3a to 7a. Too cold for this plant to survive winter outdoors. If you 'heel it in' as Ken suggests, it will die with the first frost. But I found one web site that states they can live many years if brought indoors and tended carefully. Good luck!

• michael rael
    2 years ago

It bothers me that there are so many absolutely uninformed answers to this question. You're talking about agryanthemum. It will overwinter well with sufficient light, humidity be damned. They become shrubs and are quite long lived. Protect from frost, provide as much light as possible, and it will be just fine. I know it has been a long time since this post but I hope you gave it a shot and still have what by now would be a woody subshrub.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Well, gee! Once again we have a first time poster come out of nowhere to comment on an outdated thread and in a very rude and condescending manner. And you also happen to be wrong. If you reread the OPs initial post, they were asking about a blue marguerite. Agryanthemums come in a range of colors but not blue. A blue marguerite is indeed Felicia amelloides, as pointed out previously. So if you are "bothered by absolutely uninformed answers" find offense with yours before you go around assigning blame to others needlessly!!

Not a great start for a brand new member to the site :-(

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yep. There are no blue Argyranthemums. There are a couple of blue daisies commonly available but none are Argyranthemums. There is some misinformation in this old thread based on not establishing the identity before opining but it was subsequently correctly named and the advice is spot on. Perhaps you missed the reference to the colour.