Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Annuals for Rudbeckia 'Tiger Eye Gold'

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 18:19

I was just watching "Victory Garden" and saw what a great plant the annual Rudbeckia "Tiger Eye Gold" appears to be.

Have any of you planted this? If so, what companion annuals (if any) paired well with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Annuals for Rudbeckia 'Tiger Eye Gold'

I have planted many rudbeckias over the years. Everything from the tall Gloriosa Daisy to the small Beckie but I've never tried Tiger eye. I find them easy plants to grow although they do take a couple of months to grow to a size to plant out. However once in the garden they take off and put on a gorgeous show. If you plant them mulch them well in fall and they may winter over. I'm quite a bit colder than you and I have had many winter over if they are well mulched.

Your tiger eye looks like another one I'll try. My favorite at the moment is Cappuccino Rudbeckia. large flowers of redish brown tipped in gold. It's a stunner. I also like Beckie for edging a border. It has smaller flowers on an 8 inch plant but it blooms profusely.

Yellow goes well with mauve or blue. Sprinkle some annual for-get-me not seed around in early spring when the frost is coming out of the ground. You'll never have to plant it again because it self seeds. Try Purple Zinnias or Snapdragons or go for white which goes well with any color. Whatever you plant make it a different shaped flower than the Rudbeckia

o
RE: Companion Annuals for Rudbeckia 'Tiger Eye Gold'

By accident I ended up with a short (3-4ft) dark leaf canna (unknown variey) and loved the mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here