Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Had a surprise in my annuals bed! lol

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 18:47

I have a bed dedicated to annuals only club lol, it's planted with Citrus and Priscilla Petunias. But, I was watering today and noticed 2 tomato plants growing quite well I might add in the bed!!! lol

Well, I did pluck them out and placed them where they belong, in my veggie garden. What a surprise! Some tomato seeds or left over plants that I tossed in my compost pile last year must have sprung up!

More tomatoes! (I am going to have tomatoes growing out of my ears possibly) lol

Could possibly be either "Black Cherry" cherry tomatoes (yikes they are big plants!) or Mountain Fresh Plus both from Johnnys Selected Seeds. Hmmm, time will tell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had a surprise in my annuals bed! lol

They will be tomatoes but there's not much chance they will be exactly like the plants you had last year. Hybrid seeds seldom come true to form. I know the black cherry is a hybrid--I'm not sure about the other one. Even if it's an heirloom variety being planted and pollinated with others it would not come true from seed.

Hybrids have been cross pollinated many times. Your tomatoes could be any combination of it's ancestors plus whatever tomato that flower was pollinated by.

It would be interesting to see just what you end up with--yes time will tell. You'll have to let us know just what kind of fruit you end up with

o

Me too. I have a couple of cucumber plants that I have left to grow in one of my mixed beds. I weeded out several others plus a few tomatoes. Our compost obviously doesnt get that hot.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 8:08

I have corn popping up in my perennial beds - the neighbor puts out corn for the squirrels, so no surprise plants are popping up everywhere...

o

I get volunteer cherry tomatoes every year. I'm not much of a judge of tomatoes, but they seem pretty close to the original. I just leave them to reseed in a less-used area of the garden and we have cherry tomatoes every summer.

Martha

o

I get volunteer tomatoes sometimes, too. Usually the Texas Wild, which I also plant in my garden. These will come up in the compost and in other parts of my yard, too.

o

Yum!

o

I'm having fun with a watermelon vine that volunteered at the very edge of my slate patio. It's stretched itself to about 15' in length and I have two growing huge melons. This is the result probably of spitting out a seed or two around my little fountain. Glad the patio is a decent size cuz this thing is gignormous!

o

I've a woody something, leaves look like a crab apple, that came up in my marigolds. I let the silly thing grow out of curiosity and it is already six fee tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here