Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pictures with questions (zinnia, larkspur, calendula) ?

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 19:04

Hi does anyone have larkspur that do this? I found a few strange one that are bright purple with blue "flashes":
(sorry if pictures are large..... I was having trouble resizing):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Does this shaggy calendula have a cultivar name?
What is wrong with this zinnia envy? Some only have one row of petals and this weird fluffy middle with these funny little yellow "sub" petals popping out.
The others look "normal" and full like this:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pictures with questions (zinnia, larkspur, calendula) ?

• Posted by Beleaf east Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 20:14

There is nothing wrong with those zinnias. Must be your first go at them is it???

o

I've grown zinnias for years but never from seed. I've grown a few varieties from seed this year and none of the others do this. This is my first time growing envy. I guess this is how some of its seedlings look? Not very attractive. I don't know all and all if I'll be growing this variety again.
That picture of larkspur didn't upload very well.... Here it is:

o

I just grew zinnias for the first time from seed this year, but looking at the resulting seedlings it looks like the gene that causes the flowers to 'double' or 'layer' or whatever they do is sometimes not expressed or only partially so. i dont know why only some of your varieties did this- i dont know much about zinnias. One plant i have looked as if it was partly expressed with those stay petals doubled later on...

o

I think Zinns are doing just fine.

There is the wierd one that will pop up every once in a while...But tht's what makes gardening fun! Very beautiful
larkspur!!!....
G_M

o

Does anyone else's larkspur do this? With the stripes/splashes/splotches? :)

o

Larkspur striping is very common.

o

I love that larkspur and would kill for seeds. I have crosses every year with my larkspurs. I had some white ones that I originally planted 5 years ago and get many with pink or lavander splotches also. It's nature and I just love seeing what happens every year as they reseed themselves.

o

OMGoodness all my zinnia envy look like that weird one.. except worse.. the color is ugly and it just looks.. ugly! liek a weed! How do you take care of yours? At least theres some normal ones there must be something you're doing right! the normal ones look SO beautiful compared to my ugly ones :(

o

Any time you grown plants from seeds you run the chance of "mutations" from the original seed unless the seed is produced in a sterile enviroment. One of the things that makes growing from seed so interesting is the subtle changes from the original plant. My lakspur runs the gambit from white through every shade of blue to the deepest purple including the one you have pictures - which by the way I think is one of the prettiest colors I had this year. That just was so striking. Cross pollination is what gives us ALL the endless varities of plants to choose from every year. When you buy a packet of seed that shows a particular variety/color/ect - you will get that the first year but if it reseeds in your garden - some seedlings will be the same and many will be different - variety is what make a garden beautiful.

On a side note - I wish I could grow calendula - it just melts in my heat and humidity - yours is so pretty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here