Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glories

Posted by liz62 6 (marthaandrews4811@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 22:16

I planted a bunch of Morning Glories and they are finally vining! They are in the shade so they are taking a little longer to grow than the ones in full sun. Here is a picture of a group of them, when I planted them I did not try to get them in a line, I just kinda threw them down and covered them up. There is a bunch of dark red that I had last year and purple ones that my aunt gave me, I just don't remember which ones were where, oh well, I guess we will see when they bloom.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glories

I have experimented with Morning glorys this year. I have a vinyl fence that I put strings up on and planted Morning glory plants..in about 6 weeks the fence is covered... problem is they have taken over the bed I planted them in.

mgtest1

mgtest2

mgtest3

o

OP's MG look like they have spider mites.. something is on the back of the leaves.. sucking vital juices.. hence the speckled look ...

some water and mulch.. will help also .. increase vigor ...

robs are out of this world ... and way ahead of schedule ...

ken

o

Agreed, Ken.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 11:17

I had given up trying mg, because I never got a single bloom. Someone included some this year in a seed trade, so I went ahead and planted them...what else was I going to do with them? I actually have blooms this year! And they're gorgeous purply ones. The vines aren't tall, but I still have about 6 weeks growing season left!

o

Yepper, those MG leaves in OP' photo look just like mine this year. Normally I never have a problem growing MG, but this year - not so lucky. I had maybe two blooms early on, now have lots and lots of foliage but no blooms. After the buds form and when still tiny, they actually will turn brown and crispy and drop off. I've tried watering, leaves turn yellow like it makes the plant unhappy. I've seen some webbing - perhaps spider mites like Ken mentioned.

mytime, if those "purply" MG's are Grandpa Otts, no wonder you had no problem getting blooms this year....and probably won't for years to come!

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 11:36

LOL, that's one thing about gardening in the north...I don't think I'll have to worry about morning glories reseeding!

o

If so, they're easy to pull. I let them go wild in 2 places last year on fences that border beds but the sprouts are super-easy to handle compared to tree seedlings or something like Oxalis stricta. Easy to see, comes out easily and dies on the first pull.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here