Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crossing Zinnias Question

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 23:05

I'm going to let nature do the crossing. My question is this: What two different types of zinnias would you recommend planting to get some nice crosses of seeds to plant for the next year? (My yard is small)

In other words are there two different zinnia types that cross well. [And I realize that there would be some crossing going on within the same type of zinnia as well...and that's okay].

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crossing Zinnias Question

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 13:01

Hi JMC,

I like pretty much all kinds of zinnias, but for your limited space project, I would recommend that one of the two types you should try would be Whirligig. This is a picture of part of my Whirligig patch last year.

Whirligigs come in a variety of two-toned and even three-toned flowers, and you could make quite a bit of progress by just saving seed from your favorites. The Whirligigs from Stokes Seeds are more double, while the Whirligigs from Parks have more singles. Single Whirligigs can actually look quite good, with a daisy or gaillardia look. I just have a preference for double zinnias.

For a second commercial variety, I would recommend Burpee's Burpeanna Giants. They have big flowers and nice bush-like plants, and once again, even if they didn't cross with anything, saving seeds from your favorites would be making some real progress. This is a current specimen of mine that has Burpeeana and Whirligig ancestry.

Another zinnia that gives some very interesting crosses are the scabiosa flowered strains. None of them have commercial strains that have a high degree of purity, so you can expect a high percentage of off-type specimens with them, but they are a rather small zinnia (in flower size) that benefits from being crossed with larger zinnias. The advantage of adding a third zinnia to your mix is that you have three possible crosses versus only one for two types. And if you add a fourth type, the number of different combinations jumps to six. The more the merrier. This is one of my specimens with scabiosa flowered heritage.

The scabious hybrids either replace the usual yellow 5-star florets (which wither in a day or two) with colored long-lasting florets, or they can produce petaloids, which are a kind of cross between a petal and a floret. You can get some very full carnation-like flowers with petaloids, like in this specimen.

If you want to try scabious flowered zinnias, Thompson & Morgan carries two strains of them, the Scabiosa Flowered Mixed and the Candy Mixed. Just be aware that you will get a percentage of off-type specimens from either strain.

There are a mind-boggling number of crosses that you can make in zinnias. And there is nothing to prevent a bee from crossing one of your zinnias with one of your neighbor's zinnias. In general, zinnias are full of surprises. I really enjoy them.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o

is there anything to add???? .... lol

ken

o

ZM, you are such a gem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here