Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
covella

something devouring petunias

covella
15 years ago

Do slugs eat petunias? Something is eating my petunias almost to the ground - some are nothing but stems now.

Comments (13)

• cosmolover
    15 years ago

Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like slugs. They devoured a container of my wave petunias. The beer method works pretty well for me. Although, it could be anything as I have seen more "bad bugs" in my garden this year than any other. I don't use chemicals so I am just toughing it out.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Look for bunnies....they loooove petunias. I have even seen a rabbit standing on his hind legs and stretching way tall to reach a plant in a big container.
    Slugs like petunias but the damage takes longer....they are not just "gone".
    Likely a bunny found your flowers.
    Linda C

• covella
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In some places it could be rabbits - our cat usually keeps them out of the yard but he can't be on duty all the time. But one of the petunias is in a huge container about 30" off the ground - I think that one must be slugs. Will get out the Sluggo which I believe is nontoxic and safe.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

And don't forget caterpillars.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Also never underestimate bunnies....a neighbor had a nest of them on a 2nd floor deck in a big potted plant.
    Wabbits is wascally!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Good grief, Linda! What a predicament THAT was!

• lindac
    15 years ago

they let her raise her babies....hippy-ity hopping up the stairs....suspended use of the deck until the babies left then moved the pot!

• calliope
    15 years ago

My guess is bunnies too. I have done some mass plantings of quintuple planted wave petunias in the landscape. One of them was devoured clean to the ground two nights ago. No bug is going to do that. I have also frightened bunnies off from their dinner in my perennial house where I had two flats of wave petunias holding over to plant. Chewed completely to the soil line. Ditto some potted shrubs on a veranda. This time petunias, a jade plant and angelonia. They ate the petunias, devoured the large jade plant to the soil, and chewed off the angelonia and left the stem and flower to lay and die. The rabbit was sitting there and wasn't even very frightened. Rabbits love petunias and you'd be surprised where they can get to to get them.

• covella
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I once had a Carolina Wren nesting in the wreath on our front door. Would welcome her back but I think we use the door too much now for her taste.

• deeje
    15 years ago

I don't even try to grow petunias where they'd be within bunny reach. In window boxes or hanging baskets, or up on my deck, yes. Elsewhere, they don't stand a chance in my neighborhood.

• covella
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I did a liberal sprinkle of "Sluggo" around the petunia areas and all chewing stopped so I think in my case it was slugs.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Alyrics... I have something that has been eating all my wave petunia, marigold and a few other annual that wereright down to the stocks . I blames the quail, I blamed the mice or voles but tonight I finally found out who and what is eating what are left to eat..... SLUGS!! 4 inch ugly brown and black ugly slugs! I squished 4 went back 5 minutes later anothe 4 of those nasty creatures and then I headed out twice more with the salt shaker and got 8 more. What a productive evening . Now hopefully they don't find my hosta beds.

• mtavasso
    4 years ago

the question is that if these eaten petunias with tiny stems left behind have any chance to grow back if protected from being eaten further