Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little Caterpillars Eating My Petunias

Posted by janegael 6a CT (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 7:24

I had them once on a petunia I bought from a greenhouse and I've seen one of the little buggers so I'm pretty sure it's them. They are tiny and brownish grey and can just decimate a plant. The barrel of petunias is on my deck where my dogs can access them so I can't just poison them. I have some peppermint soap left from the aphid invasion. Do you think spraying them with this would work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little Caterpillars Eating My Petunias

The active ingredient in the spray you use for bud worms is BT. It is available under different brand names. It won't hurt your animals or you should you ingest it. It works well on the plants, but has a short life once sprayed. For this reason spraying should be done even before you notice the damage if possible. Al

o

i am pretty leery of recommending you spray anything.. w/o an ACTUAL ID of what the problem is ...

of course.. the simplest solution is to just pull out the pets for this year ...

either post us a pic.. or take a piece to a local nursery.. and get an ID ...

organic solution or not.. you need to ID problems

ken

o

Sounds like armyworms(I had them on my 'tunias earlier in the season), but as Ken said, an ID should be made before using any product. Google armyworms and see if that is what you have. Bt will take them out.

o

Swallowtail butterflies use Petunia as a host plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here