Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Why only Bubblegum?

I know this petunia has been around for several years but in my experience (each season for the past...4 or 5) it is so far heads and tails above other petunias in terms of vigor. It is bomb proof.

Here are our two plants in a pot on our deck.

Am I behind the times? That is, has PW or other companies developed a petunia as good as Vista Bubblegum but in other colours?

Comments (48)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Ooh, that's almost pretty enough to make me like petunias again! That must put a smile on your face whenever you look at it.

• Edie
    9 years ago

I've been behind the times too, and haven't grown many petunias yet. I looked at results from petunia trials and there are at least a couple more good ones. Vista Silverberry ranked high and so did Bordeaux. I decided to try Bordeaux this year and it immediately became my favorite petunia. One plant from a PW 4.5" pot quickly filled a 14" basket. It's been covered in flowers and looking fabulous since the day I bought it. As a bonus, the blooms are fragrant at night.

• 715rose
    9 years ago

Bubblegum is my favorite.I save 1 over in my greenhouse for cuttings.Will have to try Silverberry & Bordeax next year.
    Rose

• tahota
    9 years ago

I planted Bubblegum for the first time this year. This is only four plants (two in the center). They are like petunias on steroids! I did a single application of slow-release fertilizer when I planted them in the spring and nothing since. I just wish they had other colors besides pink. Something this vigorous in red would be nice. It is really pointless to put more than one in a pot or next to each other... they get so big.

• tahota
    9 years ago

Here is a pot of these from a single tip cutting I took from one of the plants above. This variety is a freak of nature. Nothing should grow this fast. It is out-competing my mint... we had to pull out some of the petunia in the center of the image above so that the mint wouldn't be smothered.

• romy718
    9 years ago

One of my 6 big pots of Bubblegum.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

UPDATE:

It is only July 8 and this container (partner planted 2 BGums about 5 weeks ago or so). I measured and from one side to the other is almost 4 feet. it is our experience that it is futile planting anything else with it in the same container as it will soon be swamped. (In this pot we planted a grass of some type and it looks stupid).

• mzdee
    8 years ago

That is spectacular! Does it reseed (asking because my waves do)? I thought I was done for the summer but I'm going shopping for this bad boy.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I believe it is sterile and does not set seed.

• PRO
    St Ignace Greenhouse & Florist
    8 years ago

Vista silverberry is every bit as vigorous, Vista Fuchsia (my favorite) not quite as vigorous but very nice, and Pretty Much Picasso is tremendously vigorous. Putting these 3 together makes the 'Above & Beyond' combo and it is incredible. We use a 15" fiber basket with these 3 vistas and you end up with a 60" wide and by the the end of the season pretty close to 60" long. They are beautiful. That being said, for containers & especially hanging baskets, the Supertunia 'Mini' series makes 5-6ft long trailing by end of season. Mini-rose veined improved is breathtaking!!

• mzdee
    8 years ago

Sounds wonderful. Do you grow these from seed? And if so what company offers those varieties?

• PRO
    8 years ago

no, vegative cutting. They are Proven Winners Petunias. Doing them from vegative cuttings is superior to seed petunia. They won't get leggy, they flower longer, and they never go back to setting seed. You will be very impressed with them in containers especially. As a grower, you have to go through a broker to get the cuttings because they are protected through a patent. I would personally just buy some from a local nursery and maybe try to propogate your own. (As long as you don't sell them you should be okay.)

8 years ago

St. Ignace, tsk tsk tsk. I understand that the typical homeowner may not appreciate that it takes many hundreds of thousands (even millions) of dollars and years and years of time to bring a new cultivar to market. But I would expect a professional to defend the rights of the inventor...the patent holder.

And taking cuttings is an illegal act, whether for sale or not. The windowsill propagator is not likely to ever get caught, that's true, but when I think of how many are doing the same thing, it's a little disturbing.

At least to me, it is.

• PRO
    8 years ago

To tell you the truth, I didn't think it was illegal to propagate for personal use. I've never inquired because we buy plugs & then grow them, and I know it's illegal to propagate & sell patented petunias or other annuals. So, yes I agree, if it's illegal I would whole hearted lay recommend buying finished 4.5" grandes of the proven winners mentioned above at a local nursery. My goal in the matter was to educate the reader in really good petunias and help them grow them in a way that met there budget. I do need to research more on cuttings obviously an appreciate your info. Either way, any of the supertunia vista series, the pretty much picasso, and or the minis will give you outstanding containers. I'll post some pics of ones we did this year

8 years ago

They are spectacular looking petunias. I'm tempted to aquire one next year, breaking my years long ban against petunias!

• PRO
  • PRO
  • dsims38
    8 years ago

Thank you. I am not one to propagate anything. It needs to do what nature intended without any special needs besides the basics from me. These petuias are on my 2016 list for sure.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

St Ignace Greenhouse & Florist, that is an impressive display of Petunias. I'm saving the names you gave and will look for these at my local nurseries next spring.

• ruth_mi
    8 years ago

So glad this thread is here. I just wandered over to this forum to see if any petunias could come close to Vista Bubblegum. I've grown it for a couple years and wow! I have a bunch in the front of the house and was wondering if I could try anything else for a change from all of the pink. I'll look at the other options mentioned and try to visualize them.

• PRO
    8 years ago

There are some other excellent supertunias we could recommend. Just let us know if you need more info. One thing to remember is that they are heavy feeders. We fertilize full strength, once every 3rd watering. Also, the PW brand water soluble is an excellent choice for fertilizing and superior to miracle gro

• PRO
    8 years ago

The top photo is supertunia royal velvet & mini-rose veined.

Central photo is three different vistas.

and last photo has bordeaux in it

• sorie6 zone 6b
    8 years ago

St Ignace G&F thank you for your infor. for those of us who need to be careful with our spending your ideas are great. What beautiful plants. How long did it take to get those petunias that large?? WOW!!!!

Do Supertunia have yellow?? I love yellow. I don't believe the yellow in your pic is petunia? Thanks

• PRO
    8 years ago

Those photos were taken the end of June I believe. The central photo basket with the 3 vistas has just about tripled in size! Just remember, we have those in large fiber pots, and they have 9 plants in them, and we fertilize them every 3rd watering.

As far as yellows, they have limoncello supertunia, not as vigorous but very nice Try limoncello with dark sweet potato vine and any annual with shades of purple or magenta......blackberry punch superbells or dark purple verbena would be a winner. The yellow in the top basket is Proven Selections 'Lemon a-peel Thunbergia' just an awesome plant for hanging baskets.

And as far as supertunia that are as vigorous as bubblegum, it's hard to find! You could add Snow Princess Lobularia to your bubblegum to add a new dimension. Vista Silverberry is very close in vigor, Vista Fuchsia also does great. A great supertunia for containers is Pretty Much Picasso! It is extremely vigorous, but it isn't that great in the ground. Really fun to put different shades of pinks & purples & green sweet potatoes with it for some vibrant combos, even hot orange like Santa Cruz begonia is exciting

One last thing, if you are looking for a plant that is very vigorous, requires little maintenance, and blooms through till fall, Sunpatiens are incredible. I think they even outlast petunias! Plant in full sun and watch mounds of these grow! You could add these with other supertunias and just have an awesome garden next year.

One thing to do is to go on proven winners' website, and look through the selection of supertunias and others for more culture info. Good luck guys!

And check us out on Facebook: St. Ignace Greenhouse & Florist for videos and more pics of landscapes and hanging baskets. We would love to chat with you guys and help out in any way to achieve an awesome garden for next year.

God Bless

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    8 years ago

My sister had given me two plants of Supertunia 'Black Cherry' and they were real beauties! Both the flowers and plants are smaller growing, though the show is stunning none the less and they have above average weather resistance.

Like many others here, I agree that 'Bubblegum' is an all round excellent performer!

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

UPDATE (2017):

As an 'experiment' we planted 1 single BG (rather than our usual 2 plants) in this pretty large container in late May. Clearly one is enough.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    6 years ago

I grew Superbells this year -- they are nice but no where the near the performer that Vista Bubblegum is (grown last year).

• mzdee
    6 years ago

I planted a whiskey barrel with bubblegum and pretty much Picasso. Picasso stole.the show flowing out of the barrel and through the flower bed. Bubblegum is only now making a strong showing. We had a heat wave and I think she prefers the heat and full sun.

• lorna5243
    6 years ago

hi here is one of my favorite I started it by seed I will be doing all my flowers next year by seed I find the price way to high for me I need over 50 annuals Sorry don't know the name of this one but I really love it

• lorna5243
    6 years ago

hi if you cannot find the seed to the bubble gum then take about 6inches stem and put it in earth and you should get roots I have many petunias the wave does not give seed so I start them with a few small stem in September and I repeat every few months by may you should have many of them good luck here is another nice one

• mzdee
    6 years ago

Well now lorna, aren't you the tease? You can't just show those beauties and not remember the name of the plant. That is just cruel and unusual punishment :)

• lorna5243
    6 years ago

hi here is a pictures of my Bubble gum it took over the flower bed

I will not plant so many next year but it is beautiful

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked lorna5243
  • PRO
    3 years ago

I just realized this was from 4 years ago! Curious how all your gardens have performed!!

Proven Winners has done an awesome job adding new plants to their catalog and I thought I would share!! Let me know if you ever have questions please!! And I will be sure to keep posting new pics of baskets and plants

SUPERTUNIAS VISTA:
    •Bubblegum still awesome as ever!
    •Vista Paradise is beautiful and vigorous
    •Vista Fuchsia got improved and is even better!
    •Vista Snowdrift is pure white 👍👍

SUPERTUNIA TRAILING SERIES:
    •Trailing rose veined.......you have got to try this plant!!!!!!! Just incredible

SUPERTUNIA MINI VISTA
    •daybreak charm is pure awesomeness
    •all the mini vista series are fantastic and just as the name says.....they are mini-vistas and form a perfect dense ball of loaded blooms.

SUPERTUNIA
    •royal velvet will be improved for 2021
    •royal magenta got improved
    •Bordeaux is still incredible!!

THUNBERGIA
    •you have to put these in baskets! Trust me

SUNPATIENS
    •these are the best landscaping plant I’ve ever used ......put them in full sun ☀️

Great combo idea for baskets
    •vista fuchsia
    •orange A-peel thunbergia
    •sweet Caroline light green sweet potatoe

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked St Ignace Greenhouse & Florist
    Original Author
    3 years ago

SUNPATIENS
    •these are the best landscaping plant I’ve ever used ......put them in full sun

I have used the SunPatiens for the past 5 years. I agree they are a superb annual (although pricey). But I have yet to see them as a PW offering.

• PRO
    3 years ago

It’s a Sakata brand flower but Procen Winners offers it under its ‘proven selections’ brand. Same plants as Sakatas

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked St Ignace Greenhouse & Florist
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for that St Ignace. And the PW 'edition' are also called SunPatiens?

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Today while visiting my 85 year old MIL, with the lawn scorched brown from the drought and blistering hear, she was so proud to show me her container of 2 BGums.

• mzdee
    3 years ago

On that is beautiful! I haven't been able to find them locally over the past few seasons. I miss them in my planters. A single plant could make me look like a genius of hanging baskets😊

• HU-213958903
    3 years ago

Hello, i planted supertunia Bordeaux and royal velvet last year ( my first supertunias ever) now im hooked. The Bordeaux was hands down a better bloomer and had stronger stocks. I am interested in trying another variety this year. I want to try the new imoroved royal velvet in combination with either royal magenta or fuscia or paradise (they are all beautiful but i cannot decide/differentiate either). The look i am going for is deep purple (royal velvet) with deep pink (so deep pink it almost looks red). Can any of you advise which variety of deep pink is the strongest grower/bloomer? Also, is the new royal velvet worth while? Lastly, i live a few minutes north of toronto and would love to know how to order a large quantity of these plants for my garden in the colours i want because I see the PWs in the US does not ship to Canada. Any anvice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow gardeners!!!.

• mzdee
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you can get Monrovia plants you should be able to find what you want. I do love P.W. but Monrovia has great offerings this year including some of the double blooms.

Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have planted Supertunia GIANT Pink and although it is too early to comment on its vigor I am impressed by the size of its flowers ie they are larger than "Bubblegum".....they really are giant.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

I just bought some Supertunias this year. Bubblegum, Snowdrift, and Silverberry. Still too early to tell how they'll do but I'm excited to see the results.

OMG I have to say I LOVE that hot pink, orange, and chartreuse combo. Wow! Next year....

So, this is an old thread, and I should probably start a new thread, but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to for the last few years. I know Sun Patiens (and new guinea impatiens) CAN take more sun. But, do they NEED more sun? Can I put them in shade like impatiens walleriana?

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

(Dee, you can definitely put New Guinea impatiens in shade)

Original Author
    2 years ago

Every year for maybe a decade we include a "Bubblegum" or two in a container.

This is true for 2021 BUT I also tried Supertunia GIANT Pink.

Here is a comparison of the blooms of Bubblegum and GP:

(For sure a larger bloom but also a darker pink)

And here it is in a pot (with a Prince Tut grass in the centre)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

Thanks rouge! That's good to know about the Sunpatiens!

I think I like the Supertunia Giant Pink a bit better than the Bubblegum. I like the darker pink color!

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

About 20 yrs ago I had this Petunia with gorgeous silvery-purple double, ruffled blooms that were very scented. It lasted all summer. I don't remember seeing it again since then. I would buy that every year if I saw it.

https://garden.org/plants/view/145620/Double-Multiflora-Spreading-Petunia-Petunia-Supertunia-Priscilla/

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL