Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why only Bubblegum?

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 9:50

I know this petunia has been around for several years but in my experience (each season for the past...4 or 5) it is so far heads and tails above other petunias in terms of vigor. It is bomb proof.

Here are our two plants in a pot on our deck.

Am I behind the times? That is, has PW or other companies developed a petunia as good as Vista Bubblegum but in other colours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why only Bubblegum?

Ooh, that's almost pretty enough to make me like petunias again! That must put a smile on your face whenever you look at it.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5 NY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 0:15

I've been behind the times too, and haven't grown many petunias yet. I looked at results from petunia trials and there are at least a couple more good ones. Vista Silverberry ranked high and so did Bordeaux. I decided to try Bordeaux this year and it immediately became my favorite petunia. One plant from a PW 4.5" pot quickly filled a 14" basket. It's been covered in flowers and looking fabulous since the day I bought it. As a bonus, the blooms are fragrant at night.

o

Bubblegum is my favorite.I save 1 over in my greenhouse for cuttings.Will have to try Silverberry & Bordeax next year.
Rose

o

• Posted by tahota USDA-5 Sunst-2b (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 13:55

I planted Bubblegum for the first time this year. This is only four plants (two in the center). They are like petunias on steroids! I did a single application of slow-release fertilizer when I planted them in the spring and nothing since. I just wish they had other colors besides pink. Something this vigorous in red would be nice. It is really pointless to put more than one in a pot or next to each other... they get so big.

o

• Posted by tahota USDA-5 Sunst-2b (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 13:59

Here is a pot of these from a single tip cutting I took from one of the plants above. This variety is a freak of nature. Nothing should grow this fast. It is out-competing my mint... we had to pull out some of the petunia in the center of the image above so that the mint wouldn't be smothered.

o

One of my 6 big pots of Bubblegum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here