Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clbselah

What kind of Zinnia is this? Crooked stems.

clbselah
11 years ago

Thanks in advance. Unfortunately, I threw out my zinnia seed envelop and can't recall what kind of zinnia these are:

-- tall (3 feet or more).....very curly stalk

I've grown zinnias before so I know they get tall, and stand pretty straight.

But.... these stalks are curling, and so crooked with "S" curves they're like 'walking stick' crooked-- and the flowers that would be three feet in the air if the stalk were growing straight up -- are only a foot above the top of the plant. ..... also these stems are a little bit thicker than the straight tall zinnia stalks.

The stalks seem to be growing all over the place, in crazy directions. From another person's post, this is a good way to describe it: "The stems were crooked, bent, and flopped everywhere."

I'd like to know which zinnias these are -- so I DON"T buy them again.

Lesson learned: I MUCH prefer the straight tall growers.

Comments (14)

• zen_man
    11 years ago

I don't know of a commercial variety of zinnias that meets that description.

"From another person's post, this is a good way to describe it: "The stems were crooked, bent, and flopped everywhere." "

Just out of curiosity, where was that other person's post?

ZM

• clbselah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was a question about zinnias here on Garden Forum, but she said here's weren't growing well. And had a question about that, and whether it was affecting the stems.

Mine are growing well. I do think it's the way the stems grow. Just wish I knew what kind of zinnias these were.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Any chance of a few pictures?

• clbselah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One day I hope to get proficient at posting pix, but, even though I know it may not take that long to learn. It's not likely any time soon.

• clbselah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went and looked -- these are bright red -- with a yellow button of shorter yellow pistils inside

• zen_man
    11 years ago

Hi clbselah,

"I'd like to know which zinnias these are -- so I DON"T buy them again."

There are any number of zinnia varieties that could yield flowers that had red petals with yellow pollen florets. However, I think you can feel safe to buy any variety of zinnias that you want to, without the fear that the packet contains a curly stem problem.

It's possible that your "curly stem" zinnia is a mutation, but more likely that it is affected by some sort of disease, like Aster Yellows, for example. But I doubt that, if a disease is involved, that it came in a commercial seed packet. I think that some insect vector, like a leafhopper or cucumber beetle, would be the more likely carrier of a disease like Aster Yellows.

In case a disease is involved, I would recommend pulling up the affected zinnias, package them in a plastic bag or garbage bag, and send them to the landfill with the rest of the garbage.

"Curly stem" is a rare complaint with zinnias, and I wouldn't let this experience inhibit your selection of which zinnia seeds to buy in the future.

ZM

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Any chance there was herbicide drift?

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post pix

• gwallace4159
    11 years ago

I have had the same problem with ALL of my zinnias. It is not the variety of seed. I thought it was because of the drought and the constant drying out, so I watered several times a day for a while. So frustrating. I did n't see the Aster yellows description for Zinnia stem curl....The zinnias are not even close to each other. I really think it is weather related with no good rain and all clorinated city water....Just thinking.

• gailwrite
    11 years ago

Same problem here in Western KY, lovely flowers, healthy looking plant but stems that look like they came from Lost in Space. No rain but good irrigation, no special food because I thought zinnias did not like extra food

• zen_man
    11 years ago

I am stumped on this one. At least we have eliminated the zinnia seed as the problem. Although we currently live in a rural area using well water, I have grown zinnias just fine in town, using municipal water that was both chlorinated and fluoridated.

" No rain but good irrigation, no special food because I thought zinnias did not like extra food"

Zinnias do like extra food. Zinnias grow rapidly and are heavy users of nutrients. Some soils have nutrients in abundance, but many do not. Zinnias respond well to foliar feeding. I have had good luck with Miracle-Gro Tomato Food, because it contains extra magnesium, which is a component of chlorophyll. But this curly stem problem does not sound like a nutrient deficiency of anything in a "normal" foliar feeding formula.

I will research this further and see if I can document a specific nutrient deficiency that could cause curly stems. Calcium is absent from most soluble nutrient formulas, and plants in general need quite a bit of calcium. Some soils are deficient in calcium, and benefit from a top dressing with gypsum, which is calcium sulfate. Incidentally, plants also need sulfur, which calcium sulfate provides.

But at this time, I don't know what is causing these curly stems. It might not be nutritional. Has anyone in your area been applying a herbicide that you know of? Sometimes herbicide spray drift can cause odd problems. For the time being, this "curly stems" zinnia problem is an open issue.

ZM

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It could be something as basic as a combination of insufficient nutrition plus insufficient light.

Really, folks.....pictures might be more helpful than you realize.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

It sounds like they were grown in pt shade which could cause the bent stems as the flowers are growing towards the sunlight.

• thaicat6_2009
    9 years ago

I have this same problem. Planted some "California Giants" zinnias and they came up like elongated corkscrews. Can't post photos because I was so disgusted I cut them all back to about 1.5 inches this morning--That's they're 2nd but last chance. Meanwhile, did come across this article which sounds like what others have posted here---That the problem isn't the seeds, but Environment--location, location, location . . .
    "Skinny, Spindly Seedlings Need More Light or Need Pinching--Zinnias need many hours of bright, direct sun to flourish. If they are at all shaded they are forced to stretch to reach the light, causing them to develop thin stems. If you are growing seedlings indoors under lights, adjust the fluorescent lights to remain only 3 or 4 inches above the seedlings as they grow taller. To encourage thick, sturdy stems and compact plant shape, pinch the growing tips off of zinnia seedlings at least twice before the buds begin to form. This causes them to branch and grow denser. Dwarf varieties have naturally denser shapes"

• zen_man
    9 years ago

"...I was so disgusted I cut them all back to about 1.5 inches this morning--That's they're 2nd but last chance."

Cutting them back to 1.5 inches isn't giving them much of a chance. They are not going to come up from the roots, and that severe a pruning likely doesn't leave them with any growing points. Bye bye zinnias.