Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zinnia question

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 12:07

Anyone have pics of Benary's Giant Lilac growing in the garden you can post? I'd like to get an idea of the color. Or, can anyone describe the color in relation to Benary's Giant Purple, Uproar Rose, or Purple Prince? I have grown all of those and am familiar with the colors.

As an aside, for those of you who have grown both Benary's Giant Purple and Purple Prince, which do you prefer and why? I want to grow one of them next year in a certain spot in my garden - I remember the flowers being quite similar in color but can't recall much about the form, disease resistance, fading of blooms, etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zinnia question

Lilac:
http://trialgardens.raker.com/trial-data/trial-detail/2012/1786
Purple:
http://trialgardens.raker.com/trial-data/trial-detail/2012/1789
Uproar Rose:
http://trialgardens.raker.com/trial-data/trial-detail/2012/1862

Copy and paste into your browser. Have not trialed Purple Prince

o

I appreciate this info. My only suggestion would be that pictures are taken on an overcast day, as the sun glare can make it difficult to detect some colors (especially purple). Probably the data is more important to you than the picture.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 23:37

Thank you for the links.

My Uproar Rose and Benary's Purple did not look the same as the links, agree that the sun makes it difficult to detect colors.

Perhaps I should just buy a packet of BG Lilac seeds next year and grow them in an inconspicuous location so I can see them for myself :0)

o

Mantis, there are 8 weeks worth of photos for each variety, some ARE taken on an overcast day. With 5 acres of trials, the data collection crew doesn't have the luxury of waiting for an overcast day. They look at over 65,000 plants....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here