Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_the_gardner

Why did my Purple Cone Flower die?

tim_the_gardner
11 years ago

This is the first time I have ever grown a purple cone flower , and I started this plant from seed. I had one good flower bloom and was really nice, and had more flowers developing. For some unknown reason, the leaves started drooping and the plant began to die. Since it was in a pot, I figured that it was not getting enough water and that the pot was drying out in this 100+ degree heat (Texas). So I began watering it every day. The leaves still kept drooping, and I knew it was about to die if I didnt do something. I tried coating the leaves with a mild organic insecticide and even gave the plant a small amount of water soluble fertilizer. Nothing worked, and it kicked the bucket - as you can see in the photo attached. What happened? Too much Texas sun? Did I over-water? I've been gardening for a long time, but never had this happen. Very unusual. Thanks,

{{gwi:21446}}

Tim

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

why did you use insecticide on a plant you knew wasnt getting enough water.. and already stressed.. [organic or not]

and why potted???

its dead.. dig it up.. and see if there are any roots ... you either droughted it or overheated and cooked the roots ..... or rotted the roots once you started watering very day ...

was it in full sun.. in that tiny pot all summer???

and why not mother earth??

and with the lawn looking a bit splotchy.. is there a dog around.. you will know when you unpot it.. smell the media ...

ken

• tim_the_gardner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>> why did you use insecticide on a plant you knew wasnt getting enough water.. and already stressed.. [organic or not]

I didnt KNOW it was getting enough water. A desperate attempt to eliminate the possibility of insects causing the problem. (I tried everything else)

>> and why potted??

Because I have crappy soil. Next question.

>> was it in full sun.. in that tiny pot all summer???

The pot is not tiny, it works great for flowers of like size normally. It's not the pot size, I know. The plant was thriving in the full sun until suddenly it began to die and did so in just a short period of time.

>> and why not mother earth??

Crappy soil! Black clay... Not even an option... Next question

>> and with the lawn looking a bit splotchy.. is there a dog around.. you will know when you unpot it.. smell the media ...

No dogs. No animals... My plan now is to remove the plant and inspect the roots. Something killed this plant quickly. No exterior chewing/sucking insects present... No foliage damage... It appeared to me that the leaves were drooping before it died.. I originally thought it was wilting and needed more water. Occasionally ill forget to water my potted plants and they will do that... (wilt) But they usually perk right up once I give them water.

Tim

• tim_the_gardner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a photo of the plant just says before it turned south and began to wilt and die.

{{gwi:21447}}

Now I have seen squash plants die like this, due to a SVB bug that has borrowed into the vine... I'm thinking something internally, or in the root system caused this plant to die. Hmmmm..

Tim

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

relax, Ken's just trying to help.
    I've heard other people say cone flowers are tricky in pots as far as getting too much or little water. It's usually reliable in the open ground, but pots not so much... for what it's worth it did look great before it's sudden death.

I would bet it was a water issue that opened it up to whatever ended up killing it, probably some rot.

I'm going to guess you're somewhere South of Dallas. I remember that black clay, great for digging tanks but also great for losing a golf ball (or even golf club) when it dried out and cracked.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Considering your air temperature, I can only imagine the soil temperature in your pot. Many plants I have tried in pots in the sun have failed in just a few days. Al