Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When and how to cut back petunias

Posted by Ablinob z5 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 18:20

My petunias in my window boxes look dreadful at this time of the year. I am always unsure and afraid to cut them back earlier in the year. I pinch out the spent blooms but end up with a long stalk with one flower on the top. I have tried to experiment with cutting them back gingerly to see what happens but this year it hasn't helped much. What do others do? I think I am going with something different in the window boxes next year!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When and how to cut back petunias

Just cut the stems back to where the flowers began growing. Don't leave less than 6 inches on the plant or it may stress out and die. You can see new stems waiting to grow where the leaves meet the stem. Make sure they are watered regularly and fertilize with half strength Miracle Grow. That's my method. There are many threads on this topic. Just click on search in the annuals forum and type in petunias. Enjoy!

o

Thanks so much for the tip! I did notice a few other threads...after I posted. Thanks again!

o

My Petunias in my window boxes on my deck are starting to look dreadful too! They are very leggy, leaves are starting to turn a little brown at the bottoms and a lot of the blossoms have holes in them as if bugs are eating them, although I don't see any bugs! I ended up cutting them all back to about 5 or 6 inches. Not sure why I did this but I just got really frustrated right before I left for vacation the week before last and cut them all off! I figured I wouldn't be around to deadhead them and they would look even worse when I came home. They still don't look too good, I figure it's just the end of the season for them and me! It's a shame because they really were so pretty. At least I enjoyed them for almost 3 months!

o

Linda,

Water your petunias well, fertilize with a 15-30-15, then sprinkle with Dipel. Those little holes in the blossoms are caused by cabbage worms and Dipel (or BT) will take care of them. In 2 weeks they'll be going gangbusters again!

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here