Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_is_a_rose

When do Morning Glories Bloom?

rose_is_a_rose
18 years ago

Hi,

I planted some morning glories from seed right into the ground in May (as suggested on the package). They have done well to grow up the fence and trail in some flower boxes but I'm wondering when do they bloom?? I have them in both sunny and shady areas and neither seem to be blooming any time soon..... puzzled

Comments (23)

• Gzel
    18 years ago

Just be patient - they will bloom. It takes some cultivars longer to bloom than others. They should start blooming soon
    George

• jackied164 z6 MA
    18 years ago

mine are just starting

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

It's been so hot that I have yet to see one open flower on mine. They only stay open if the day is cloudy and somewhat cooler. Mine have had several blooms already, I just didn't see them until they were spent :(

• LindaMA
    18 years ago

I am growing two different varieties of Morning Glorys, the first one Grandpa Otts has been blooming practicaly since I potted the seedlings in containers on my balcony but the 2nd variety, Heavenly Blue, has not yet made an appearance but I have foliage and vines everywhere and they appear to be very healthy. I was told that Heavenly Blue's take a lot longer to bloom than most other varieties, so it just depends on which kind you are growing. Be patient, they will bloom for you.

• ImaHockeyMom
    18 years ago

I'm in Zone 5 and I've only had blooms for about two weeks now.

With the significantly hotter summer this year, I'm noticing that the blooms don't last nearly as long this year compared to last year. Last year I'd still have blooms at lunchtime when I went down by the pool, but they're all gone by lunchtime now.

Just remember: Don't Water and Don't Fertilize!!!

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

Mine just started to bloom this week,here's a few of the blooms this morning...

{{gwi:22273}}
    {{gwi:22275}}
    {{gwi:22277}}

Eliza Ann

• cindy528
    18 years ago

Eliza, what is the name of that second MG, I love the colors. Thanks. Cindy

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

I thought the seed pack was labeled Heavenly blue,but it's nothing like the Heavenly blues that I've grown in previous years.They were larger and a different shade of blue altogether.Unfortunately I threw the seed pack away,so I'll have to be sure and save the seeds from this one.The blue is so intence and has that yellow centre that seems to glow as you can see.

Eliza Ann

• ImaHockeyMom
    18 years ago

Looks like Grandpa Otts to me..... beautiful!

• lilyvan70_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

When/how often should HB MGs be watered? Since reading not to water on this forum a few weeks ago, I only sparingly give them water when the top leaves start to wilt.
    Still, I'm not getting much in the way of blooms. Maybe 3 or 4 flowers since repotting. I have noticed more buds though, but they never seems to develop into flowers.
    I'm wondering if I started off wrong. I began with six tiny plants, and repotted three each in two big plastic tubs/pots. I replanted three plants end May/early June, and the other three at the end of June.
    Before I repotted, I drenched them every day, and also really soaked them the first few weeks after repotting. I live in NY and did this because my neighbor, who grows MGs beautifully every year, told me her roots get huge and she can never give hers enough water. Hers are always sopping wet and bloom beautifully.
    The only difference I can see is that hers are in clay pots, and mine are in plastic. She also has a fence which they crawl on, and my "trelles" is too small, so they've been growing on top of each other, in a big upright u-shape. Could this be preventing flowers? Both my pots get plenty of sun and the leaves are huge, like big grape leaves.
    thanks all!

• shapiro
    17 years ago

Have been growing Granpa Ott morning glories for years and they bloom early and also self-seed really well. Have not planted them for years yet they come up each spring in a pair of whiskey barrels on my patio (southern exposure). They began blooming weeks and weeks ago. In the fall, when I clean them out, I save lots of seed and store in small envelopes to give away to my gardening buddies for Christmas or whenever.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    17 years ago

I found some cool variegated MG's this year. Now I don't mind waiting for the blooms, the foliage is great. Around here, I usually don't get MG blooms til September.

• maidinmontana
    17 years ago

This is the 2nd year, not concesutive, that I have grown MG's. The first I put in a brick planter on my front (covered porch), they grew and had a few flowers, but I think I only planted a few seed packs. This year. . . I broke all the rules according to this post. . . I put 5 FIVE ! ! ! packs in a bed right by my front steps, there were hostas there when I sowed the seeds (I moved them to shade) so the seeds were kinda in groups when they sprouted. Soon they grew into small mounds, then I realized I needed to give them something to grow on so I put bamboo stakes in the ground right behind each mound, I never got around to tieing string for support, so they grew up the bamboo, literally in ropes, intwined together, one got so heavy the bamboo broke ! Now late Aug, they are spawling on the sidewalk, they have been blooming since early july, each mound is over 4' tall and three mounds fill a narrow 5'long bed so the ground never sees sunlight.They are in kinda rocky ground, full hot afternoon sun, I soak them everyday with a spray nozzle on my hose, and every morning I have at least 30 flowers, but they close as soon as the direct sun hits them. I think mine are heavenly blue. I like the look of them, but I think I would have done it different had I known. Maybe next time not as many seeds, and prepare for climbing.

• rose_is_a_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As the starting post of this message I have to say patience does work.... not long after my post my MG's starting putting on a beautiful show for me every morning... I plucked seeds and planted them in Feb. in the house and had them blooming in April in the house before I planted them outside... I have two very large (up a six foot fence) patches and they are again putting on quite a show.... I find the ones in the shade aren't blooming as well yet and any that I put in pots don't seem to be as nice or have the big large leaves like ones sown into the ground.

• dachristian_cox_net
    14 years ago

I have had a lot of success growing morning glories, using lots of fertilizing and lots of watering, twice a day morning and evenings.
    My morning Glories do bloom later than many of my neighbors,
    but mine have lush large leafs, tons of blooms and are still
    blooming in late September and early November.

• kforrest
    14 years ago

I planted both heavenly blue mg's and moon flowers end of May in pots.

I think I might finally be seeing little buds on them. Could somebody describe what one of the buds look like when they first emerge?

I can see pictures of buds just about to open but I havent been able to find a pic of a beginning bud.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Link takes you to photo of early bud on wild (invasive) MG.

In the upper left of photo you can see the kind of squared early bud with indentations and little tip.

The one farthest upper left is what mine look like, more or less, on Heavenly Blue.

They're in little clusters of varying numbers of buds.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:22271}}

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Ipomoea tricolor (a variety is Heavenly Blue) is a late summer bloomer. Ipomoea purpurea (a variety is Grandpa Ott's) flowers all summer long.
    Ipomoea nil (a variety is Scarlett O'Hara) makes flowers as early as the end of July but the big flower show is in mid-August to end of September.

It is a misconception that all morning glories like poor soil and that fertilizer will inhibit flowering in all morning glory species. Ipomoea nil should receive a balanced fertilizer to perform well. Ipomoea purpurea should receive no fertilizer if you are growing the plant in medium with good soil life in it.

• leov10571
    7 years ago

Good comments. They give me comfort -- I'm not the only one who has had a problem with few flowers on his morning glory vines. Thanks, folks.

• Grace Gebhardt
    4 years ago

I have to plant some morning glories for a school project but my class is in the winter idk what i should do, I can switch my flower but i need to know soon

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

You could grow them indoors in a sunny window. Chances are they would bloom. You need to give them something to climb up. Which morning glory are you thinking of growing?

• Leo JV
    4 years ago

Why morning morning glories? Why "have to?"

If you insist on morning glories: soak the seeds overnight;plant them is pots, one or two seeds in each pot;water the pots;put the pots in a very sunny window; they will sprout.

No need to guess: find out when the last date of recorded frost is where you live. Plant the seeds a month or maybe at the most six weeks before that. If you plant the seeds earlier than that, two months for example, you will have a heck of a problem with what is growing in your window sill.

If you are lucky and you time it right and the vines don't flop over and you don't water the pots too much or too little, you can set them out after there is no danger of frost. If two seeds sprout in any of the pots, you should pluck one of them out.

Fun to do this if you had (a) one large pot, (b) a large window sill to set the pot on, and (c) six or even eight pre-soaked seeds in the pot. When you up-end the pot to plant its contents in the garden, you could train the six or eight vines to go in different directions.

Plan ahead! Good luck!!