Return to the Annuals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant flower seeds in August?

Posted by janie58 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 20:50

Anyone know of any type of flower seed that can be planted (in a flower pot) in the beginning of August and produce flowers within 30-40 days? The local Walmart and garden nurseries are putting out mums now and really have no spring stock left. I still have a few packs of seeds left - alsyumm, baby's breath, gallardia, cosmos and shirley poppies. Would any of these work? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant flower seeds in August?

When is your estimated first frost date in your location?

Anyway, I can't think of anything that can be started from seed and will be producing flowers in that kind of time frame. Not only is temperature important, but so is daylength.

In some locations, cool weather plants begin to show up at the garden centers for fall color (along with the mums). Those would include pansies, marigolds, snapdragons, and even petunias.

Your climate may not be conducive for that, I don't know.

o

those seeds MIGHT not be any good next year.. so plant some.. what do you have to lose ...

but i agree.. i dont expect success ... most likely you left out the 7 to 14 days.. just to sprout.. and then the 60 days to bloom in a perfect world ...

its fun to experiment ... go for it....

ken

o

Definately not alyssum gillardia or cosmos. A maybe on the poppies and babies breath.

To tell the truth I'd put the seeds in cold storage for next year and buy some fall flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Annuals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here